wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I have a history of urological problems dating back to 1997.

Customer Question

I have a history of urological problems dating back to 1997. I had urodynamic tests and have had 2 bladder neck stretches and was diagnosed with an overactive bladder.
In November 2017 I developed symptoms of possible uti however lab test showed no infection.
I had a number of urine tests which showed high levels of leukocytes but no infection on jab testing. My GP referred me for a kidney / bladder scan. This showed no evidence of cancer or other concerns but did reveal voiding problems. Retained 540mls. Seen by a urologist who confirmed voiding problems via ultrasound scan 609 mls. My concern is that he wanted to go down the route immediately of an indwelling catheter. He did a cystoscope nothing remarkable found. Self catheterisation has been attempted but no success and even the nurses including an experienced continence nurse can’t even pass a paediatric catheter. I am concerned that I have not been thoroughly investigated as to cause of retention and I do not want to prematurely/ unnecessarily go down the catheter route. The last bladder scan I had was yesterday where 170 mls was retained but they couldn’t get a catheter in. It hurts and there is the feeling of a possible obstruction. I am passing urine ok in fact on every day since monitoring very carefully my output exceeds my input sometimes by as much as 500mls.
Kidney function blood tests have been conducted which are normal. Only 1 uti which quickly resolved via antibiotics. I am on no medication. Apart from the uti o had about a month ago I have not had any uti for at least 30 years.
What do you think should be done now? I need a cause established for the retention and also why a catheter can’t be passed.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 month ago.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

In the USA the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the United Kingdom and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS