Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I was wondering if you could explain my split renal funtion

Customer Question

Hi doctor.
I was wondering if you could explain my split renal funtion results.
I had bilateral ureter damage during a surgery. The injury was not noticed for 10 days. By that stage i was in kidney failure. Thankfully the kidneys recovered with neph tubes being inserted. I had urosepsis 3 times. And had a ureteral reimplatation.
One year on i had a mag3 test. Right kidney is working at 35% and the left at 65%. My overall ergf is >60.
As my ergf is within the normal range does this mean i no longer have kidney issues.Thanks so much for your time.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

This is very reassuring that your eGFR is more than 60; It means that the over all kidney function is good, not bad.

But this is important to note that this also does not mean that kidneys are absolutely normal.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok.
What does it mean for my future

You might be having an initial stage of CKD, but not significant enough to suggest a nephrology referral or any indication for dialysis.

Your prognosis/future is fine. You may stay in the same stage for another 5 to 10 years with out further decline in renal function, provided your blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugars (if you have diabetes) are well controlled.

And if every thing goes fine, I don't think you will need dialysis in near future or next 10-15 years at least.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Perfect.
Is there anything else i should know. I am constantly tired was wondering if this has anything to do with my kidney function.

I don't think this is related to your kidneys.

Check your vitamin D levels, and thyroid levels --- these are the most common causes for tiredness and fatigue.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just wondering how common ureteral injury to both sides is during keyhole hysterectomy.

Its not very uncommon. But ideally this should not happen in expert hands. But a surgeon can better answer this question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok
In conclusion if my kidneys are working at diffetent percentages but i have an overall egfr greater than 60. Then i have nothing to be concerned about. Will the weaker kidney csuse problems in the future.

They shouldn't be causing any problem as of now.

But when they become very weak like eGFR less than 15; one can experience many complications like weak bones, high cholesterol.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Then as long as my kidney function remain good i will be happy.
I have to take ibrobhen long term....naproxen.
Could this hurt my weaker kidney

Yes this can. So try to avoid this as much as you can and use safe pain medications like Tylenol.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How long would it be before it had an effect.
I have to take 8 naproxen per day

In that case few months to few years. No one can exactly predict.

I will certainly not recommend to take this for long. You must find an alternative to protect your kidneys.

Was it helpful?

Thanks for visiting JA