Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years of high volume criminal defense work,including all aspects of a case from arraignment to plea or trial.
18321761

I was arrested and jailed for three months in Germany 25 years

Customer Question

I was arrested and jailed for three months in Germany 25 years ago. I have no other arrests or convictions and am hoping to visit the States next year. I understand that a conviction involving 'moral turpitude' will barr me from entry, but that this term has a rather fluid meaning. Please can you advise.
Category: US Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

Of what charge were you convicted?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It was shoplifting

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 years ago.
Hello John,

Unfortunately, any theft offense is considered a crime of moral turpitude. If, however, the maximum possible penalty for your offense was less than a year (not what you actually served but the maximum penalty German law allowed for the crime) you may come under a special petty crime exception, provided also that this was your only criminal conviction.

You will want to call the US Embassy in the UK and see if there's a waiver available to you. You will likely have to get an official certificate of disposition from Germany so that the authorities can see what you were charged with and whether the exception applies.

Good luck!