Ely
Ely, Lawyer
Experience:  Counselor at Law. Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

i need to ask a question regarding a ticket received in NYC

Customer Question

i need to ask a question regarding a ticket received in NYC usa

do i need to take notice of it? as im not american, iv got an english licence

also to note that they have written my date of birth the wrong way round as in the us they write the month before the day and they copied it from my english licence, therefore on their system its wrongly recorded

Category: US Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Hello friend. My name is Ely, and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. Do you currently live in the UK or US?

Do you plan to visit US sometime later?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, i live in the Uk & im british

i might visit us again no plan now yet

Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, P.

On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.

You may wish to take care of the ticket. If you do not and simply do not show up either, there is a slight possibility that the court shall issue a bench warrant for your arrest. While of course this will not really matter as you are in the UK and the US is not going to initiate extradition proceedings for a minor traffic issue, if you ever visit US again later on, you may be stopped and taken into custody at the airport and then transported to the Court to take care of the ticket.

This may also work to hurt your chances of future visas including VWP, B2, etc.

You are mentioning an "urban myth" here. If the ticket has mistaken information, this does not necessarily void the ticket. Only if the mistake is so gross to the point of a reasonable person not knowing WHO the ticket was written out for, may it possibly be thrown out. An inversion of dates due to custom is not enough to have it voided.

Ergo, someone in your situation may wish to pay the fine, show up (if in US at that time), or, have an attorney in NY to nip this in the bud for you. May I recommend the NYC Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)