Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
9200179

Hello. I am 21 unmarried and live in the UK I want to immigrate

Customer Question

Hello. I am 21 unmarried and live in the UK I want to immigrate to the US my father is a US citizen and is financially stable enough to support me and is going to file a I130 petition for me. I would like to know how long this process will take from filing the form to me being able to leave the UK and if hiring an immigration lawyer would speed up the process at all.
Category: US Law
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is Guillermo Senmartin and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one. Also, we have been having technical issues lately. If you respond and you do not see your response, please post again until you can see it because if you cannot see it, I cannot see it to respond.

Unfortunately, hiring an attorney will not speed up the process at all. It could just help to make sure that there are no delays due to errors, but it won't speed up the process. I will explain. Take a look at this link:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin/2014/visa-bulletin-for-february-2014.html

Family-Sponsored

All Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed

CHINA-mainland born

INDIA

MEXICO

PHILIPPINES

F1

01JAN07

01JAN07

01JAN07

01OCT93

15AUG01

F2A

08SEP13

08SEP13

08SEP13

01SEP13

08SEP13

F2B

08JUL06

08JUL06

08JUL06

01MAY93

22MAY03

F3

15MAY03

15MAY03

15MAY03

01JUN93

08FEB93

F4

22OCT01

22OCT01

22OCT01

08NOV96

08AUG90

You are in the F1 category, unmarried son over 21 of a U.S. Citizen. You will see a date there that is 01JAN07. This means that only I-130s filed on or before January 1, 2007 can now be used to immigrate to the U.S. This is a waiting line. There is nothing in the law that allows anyone to jump ahead of anyone else in line not even in the case of an emergency. So unfortunately, if your father files now, in 2014, you would have about a 7 year wait or so until 2007 gets to 2014. Until that time, you cannot immigrate through that petition. I am truly sorry.

I will go over other ways for you to immigrate. There are 5 ways to obtain U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency. They are through family, through employment, through Asylum or refugee process, through investment, or through the lottery.

For family, it must be immediate family such as U.S. Citizen spouse or U.S. Citizen children over 21 in order to be able to come immediately. U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident parents or U.S. Citizen siblings, or Lawful Permanent Resident spouses can also help you, but the wait for that is about 4 to 12 years or so. As we have already discussed, through your father you are looking at around 7 years.

Through employment, you would have to generally prove that you would not be taking away a job from a U.S. worker and the less experience and education you have, the harder that is to do.

Through Asylum or Refugee process, you must prove that you will be persecuted, tortured or killed if you stay in your country and that this will happen to you because of your nationality, race, religion, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group, not because you would run the same risk as anyone else in your country to fall victim to a crime or bad economic conditions.

Through investment, you are looking at generally $1,000,000.00 for a residency, or $500,000.00 in an area designated as a high-employment area, plus in both cases the investment has to create 10 or more jobs for U.S. workers.

And through the lottery, it would be very difficult to win one of the 50,000 visas available per year and some countries do not qualify (persons from the UK do not qualify).

Here is a link to the different forms to get a green card:

http://www.uscis.gov/greencard

Then there are some visas available where you can stay temporarily and then later change to Lawful Permanent Residency if you qualify.

Some of the visas available through employment (if you have a job offer and you qualify) are:

H-1B for professional workers

H-2A for seasonal agricultural workers

H-2B for seasonal nonagricultural workers

H-3 for industrial trainees

Then there are the F-1 and M-1 for students and J-1 for exchange visitors.

And then there is the E-1 for treaty traders and E-2 for treaty investors (these types of visas are not available in all countries).

Here is a link to most of the available visas:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/visa-wizard.html

Now that I have given you an answer, you may rate me positively OR ask for additional information. Please do not rate me negatively for bad news or things that you may already know. That doesn’t help you or me. I am here to help you and I am on your side. Give me a chance to help you. All you have to do is respond asking for additional information. After you rate positively, a bonus is always appreciated, and I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. Please do not log off without rating positively. It is VERY important for me to receive credit since I receive no salary. You are not charged again. If you would like to request me in the future, just type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!