Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod,
73944119

If a trial court excluded all evidence (exhibits) a plaintiff

Customer Question

If a trial court excluded all evidence (exhibits) a plaintiff needs to prove the case, is that considered structural error or trial error?
Category: US Law
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Shantal,

I will wait to see if someone can answer.

Thanks very much.

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Shantal,

Thank you. I hope someone answers.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

This could be an error in law, or procedure. But the exhibits must be RELEVANT to the case.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Alex Watts,

Thank you very much for taking up my question.

I am trying to figure out if what happened is a "trial error" or a "structural error," From what I have read, normally trial errors include a flaw (or flaws) in the way evidence is presented to a jury. A structural error is described as a constitutional deprivation that infects the way the trial was conducted from beginning to end. From what I have seen, this is usually applied in criminal trials.But I saw a couple of Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals cases (shown by using Google scholar) wherein the Ninth Circuit used structural error in civil cases.

In my case, the exhibits excluded from the trial are relevant. This was a copyright infringement case, and the District Court Judge excluded my charted infringement documentation from evidence on a Federal Rule of Evidence 403 (this was a misapplication of Rule 403, which is only supposed to exclude probative evidence that will unfairly prejudice a jury). Also, two other exhibits were not included at trial. I do not know if the Judge or the attorneys decide on which exhibits will be admitted (maybe you could answer that question for me).

One of these documents (not on the Exhibit List and not shown at trial) was generated by opposing counsel and states that the derivative (that later went on trial) was a renamed version of the uncontested derivative that belongs to me (a derivative made from my copyrighted work)

Another exhibit is shown on the Joint Exhibit list, but was excluded from trial. It is a copy of the uncontested derivative.This was needed at trial to show that the derivative the defendants were claiming was a wholly different work that belongs to them is really a renamed copy of the uncontested derivative that belongs to me.

So, the omission of the evidence stated above infected deliberations from beginning to end, i.e., like a structural error. The omission of such vital evidence was also a constitutional deprivation in that the evidence was needed for the trial to be fair.

That is, the jury did not know that the derivative that went on trial was really a renamed version of the uncontested derivative. Even I did not know this at the time, and only learned the underlying deception when I decided to fight my own appeal and began exploring the Court Record. That is when I realized that my own attorney sold me out -- all attorneys at trial pretended that the derivative I was fighting for was really a wholly different work that I had to prove belonged to me.

For the above to make any sense, it is important for me to mention that the derivative is a ghostwritten work generated on my behalf (per contract) by my (at the time) literary agent. He withheld the finished derivative (so I could not see it), and when I accidentally learned that he was planning to contract it for himself at my expense, I filed suit.

To make matters worse, one of the Jury Instructions misleads jurists into believing that defendants have the right to produce a derivative from my unpublished, copyrighted work (this is strictly forbidden by Copyright Law and Supreme Court precedent -- and my attorney did not object to the instruction in open court). For jurists, this instruction made my effort of going to trial appear to be a waste of everyone's time. After all, why would anyone go to trial if the Copyright Act allows defendants to produce derivatives of unpublished works?

I am now writing a writ to the Supreme Court because the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals did not hear my filings on the copyright issue: The Ninth Circuit put my case in its pro bono program, and then counted pro bono supplemental briefs as replacement briefs (even though they were clearly designated as supplemental) and used that as a mechanism to ignore my appeal brief, which is the only filed document that argues the matter of infringement.

So, that's the history behind my question, and I am trying to figure out if the District Court produced a structural error or a trial error. If it is a structural error, then it was mandatory that the verdict be reversed by the Appeals Court. I do not know if the same is true for a trial error.

Thank you again for your kind consideration of my question.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 years ago.
Is this a UK law question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Alex Watts,

I hope things are not as bad in the UK, but this gross miscarriage of justice took place in the US courts.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 years ago.
Ok - I think this is in the wrong category as its posted in UK law.

I will move it to USA law for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Alex Watts,

Thank you very much.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Nicola,

Thanks. Yes, I will wait and see if someone answers.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

If you find that your question is not getting answered you may want to consider posting your question on the US version of our site, www.justanswer.com, where your question would be made available to a wider range of professionals. You may be able to get an answer faster on the US version of JustAnswer.

You will need to place a new deposit on the US site. You can get a refund of your deposit on the UK site by following this link:

www.justanswer.co.uk/refund/refund.aspx

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Nicola,

My question never should have bounced over to the UK site. The person who answered realized that this was a US question and said she would direct my question back to the US site where it belongs (see the discussion above). Also, I have the kind of subscription that allows me to ask lots of questions if need be, and so there should be no extra deposit. Please fix the problem if my question is still at the UK site.

I'm afraid we cannot transfer questions to the US site as they are separate entities but I see your previous questions were asked on the US site - please try opening another question at JustAnswer.com. I will then close this one.

This was transferred to the US Law section of JustAnswer.co.uk, but our range of professionals in that category is not as great as the range of professionals on JustAnswer.com.

Thank you and I apologise for any inconvenience,