Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years of high volume criminal defense work,including all aspects of a case from arraignment to plea or trial.
18321761

I had a ICD installed in Bangkok Nov 2012. It was checked and

Customer Question

I had a ICD installed in Bangkok Nov 2012. It was checked and reset 2 times here in the states and both times they said it would only discharge when needed. Well my heart (upper) started to difib and since the ICD was set up improperly by the US doctors it discharged 10 times within a 5 minute period Nov 2013. I was on full LT disability at the time. I want to put a med map practice case together against the doctor and hospital What steps and who should I contact.
Category: US Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 years ago.

My name is Zoey, and I am a US lawyer.

In what US state were the doctors you saw and the hospital?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Florida Tampa Gen Hospital

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 years ago.
Medical malpractice suits in Florida have a very short statute of limitations. You only get two years to file the suit. So you want to get on this very quickly so that the lawyer you find has enough time to investigate and prepare and file the suit for you.

Florida law requires a lengthy presuit investigation wherein a lawyer must convey the medical records to a similar care provider who must sign off on the records as agreeing that a suit is called for. Once he gets that back, the lawyer can file notice to the parties being sued. As part of this "presuit" process, discovery gets exchanged. Only at the end of this -- 90 days -- can the suit finally actually be filed.

To find a medical malpractice lawyer you can contact the Florida State Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge around $50 for the referral which includes a free half hour consultation with the lawyer, which can be conducted over the phone if you are not in the States. You can also try a commercial referral service such as Martindale.com. Many of Martindale's lawyers are peer and client rated which some customers find very helpful.