Ely
Ely, Lawyer
Experience:  Counselor at Law. Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Hi,i obtained a greencard and lived in the us for 7 years.

Customer Question

Hi,i obtained a greencard and lived in the us for 7 years. I then moved home to ireland to look after a family member.On return to the usa for a brief holiday i had to swear away all rights to my greencard.I have been back many times for a holiday and never had any problems with immigration.I am now thinking strongly of moving back.Have i any right to my greencard,i have a social security number.It is 15 years since i lived there permently.Looking forward to your reply.Thanking you,Shirley.
Category: US Law
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is Guillermo Senmartin and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one. Also, we have been having technical issues lately. If you respond and you do not see your response, please post again until you can see it because if you cannot see it, I cannot see it to respond.

No one ever has a "right" to a green card. It is a discretionary benefit. I assume you were outside of the U.S. longer than a year, you signed an I-407 and you re-entered the U.S. using a Visa Waiver or B-2 tourist visa? And how did you obtain Lawful Permanent Residency status?
Hello Shirley. I can help you, I just need you to be in the correct mind-set to understand the situation. I assume you were outside of the U.S. longer than a year, you signed an I-407 and you re-entered the U.S. using a Visa Waiver or B-2 tourist visa? And how did you obtain Lawful Permanent Residency status?
Shirley, I want to help, but ignoring me does neither of us any good. How was it that you originally obtained your Residency? And you recently used a Visa Waiver or B-2 tourist visa to enter the U.S.?