Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
9200179

my 15 year old son plays football for a professional academy

my 15 year old son plays football for a professional academy in England. he has been offered a place at Lonestar academy in Austin Texas. we have friends who live in Austin is it possible for him to move out there and stay with them to finish his education and play football for lonestar
Category: US Law
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one. Also, we have been having technical issues lately. If you respond and you do not see your response, please post again until you can see it because if you cannot see it, I cannot see it to respond.

Is the academy listed here:

http://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/

Does he have the funds available to pay for his education for at least one year and room and board as well? And does he have the intent to go back home when he is done?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure about the soccer academy I don't think so.

schooling funds could be covered he would go to high school as he is only 15.

I would sent money each month to our friends out there for his keep even though they say they don't want anything, and also money for my son.

whether he comes back would depend on how far he got with his football, if it was possible I might go out they myself later.

Well, unfortunately, it’s going to have to be a SEVP approved school. So if they are not, they will have to go through the process of becoming certified. The link that I sent you before has the process on how they can do that. And here is a link in regards ***** ***** rest of the process from his side:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/study-exchange/student.html

Please review it and let me know what questions you have and I will be back with you after lunch (it’s almost 1pm for me). Sorry about the delay. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the soccer club I think is nothing to do with schooling he would go to school during the day then train with the soccer club in the evening.

What is a SEVP approved school

So he will not have any education from the academy, just soccer? Will he be paying for the soccer club or scholarships? Where would the scholarships come from?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no just football at the academy at the moment. I think he will have to pay for the football to start with and then hopefully get a scholarship from the club once he has been there for a while, they seem very interested in him as they know who he has played for here.

we were in Houston last month as my son had trials for Houston Dynamo, but he did not like the club, they were interested in him signing a contract at 15. that is when we found out about Lonestar so I think when they see him play they might offer him a contract. like he has in England.

even if he could get out there for a few months to see how he got on would help

Well, his options are limited, unfortunately. The only visa available for athletes is a P-1. Here is a link:

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/p-1a-internationally-recognized-athlete

If he does not reach that level, then he will have to find a SEVP approved school which is just a school approved by U.S. immigration, and you can look through the schools in that link that I first gave you. He will have to show that he has the funds available to pay for at least one year of schooling and room and board and that he has a home to go back to when he is done and that he intends to go home when done. Whether that actually happens or not does not matter when one applies. But the intent to go home has to be present at the time of applying. If he can get approved, then he can most likely do that soccer program as a recreational program. If he can find a SEVP approved school to take him, they will most likely do all of the work for him to get him into the U.S. without charge because they want to charge him the tuition money and if they cannot get him in, they cannot charge the tuition money.

Now that I have given you an answer, you may rate me positively OR ask for additional information. Please do not rate me negatively for bad news or things that you may already know. That doesn’t help you or me. I am here to help you and I am on your side. Give me a chance to help you. All you have to do is respond asking for additional information. You are NOT charged per question nor are you charged per response. If this seems a little complicated or overwhelming, I can also offer you an additional service for a small fee where we can speak in private over the phone or through email that may be helpful (this is a public forum where anyone can read the responses). Feel free to decline it, but if you do, please remember that I am not given a salary, so the only way that I am compensated is if you rate me positively. So at least please use the smiley faces and a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. Also, your question does NOT close just because it says, “To finish…” I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If I do not hear from you, I will automatically send that additional offer request. Thank you for your understanding and if you would like to request me in the future, just type: FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box.

Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Experience: Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..