Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years of high volume criminal defense work,including all aspects of a case from arraignment to plea or trial.
18321761

I am a UK citizen who was scammed into buying shares in Dana

Customer Question

I am a UK citizen who was scammed into buying shares in Dana Resources about 4 years ago. I have been contacted a week ago by a company called Atlantic Group, Adr***** ***** who have told me that the company is in Liquidation and that I am entitled to compensation. The advised me to contact David Parsons who is a Government agent who is from the Compensations Department - *****@******.***. I have to derestrict my shares so that they can pay me $1.35 for the shares that I have.
Do I think this is a scam - yeah however I am trying to gather as much information as I can as if it is a scam I want to catch them at it.
I guess what I am asking is - is this a scam? if so what kind of a scam is it as it is to J P Morgan Chase that they have told me to go to get my shares Derestricted so I will be paying them - Atlantic Group have told me that they don't expect payment as they will be payed once I have the money for the shares I have?
Category: US Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a US lawyer.

This is a scam and it has a name. It's known as a boiler room investment fraud. That's when you get unsolicited contact from a so-called foreign investment broker who uses high pressure techniques to lure you into what he assures you will be a lucrative investment deal. Then he will run off with your money leaving you with worthless stock or with nothing at all.

Once you have fallen for a boiler room investment fraud in the first place, you make the scammer's short list and they revisit you under a different name to take advantage of you all over again.

Here's what you need to know:

Any time you get an unsolicited investment opportunity from a so-called foreign broker, it is going to be a fraud. The international investment community is filled with warnings about cold callers like yours. Soliciting abroad is just not what any legitimate financial firm does. It is the #1 sign of an investment fraud.

The boiler room scam comes in two versions. You have now experienced both:

In the first version, you are told that the deal is time-sensitive and that you will have to make a very quick decision. So you buy shares, wire the firm your money and by the time you realize a year or so later you've been taken advantage of (you'll get only worthless stock or nothing at all) your "firm" has disappeared into thin air and your money along with it.

It's the second version for which you've been approached now. Here, a foreign investment company claims to be looking to buy your worthless stock. The figures the agent bounces around are impressive and they claim that the offer will quickly disappear. You don't get much time to dwell on this if you want to make this deal which promises to be very lucrative for you. They are hoping you will be so motivated to recoup your previous losses that you will jump at the opportunity, even though it will cost you an up front fee to complete the deal, because they tell you that there is a restriction on your shares and money you must pay out first in order to release your shares for sale.

The fact is that you never have to pay money out of pocket in order to sell your shares. This is a lie that sounds good enough to fool the uninitiated, but it simply isn't true.All of the money in their offer to you is going the wrong way, from you to them! That's always a scam.

Pay them and you will lose a great deal of money and get nothing.

A financial firm must be registered in its own country with its country's financial regulatory authority and authorized by your own country's financial regulatory authority to trade in the UK. If it can't produce those credentials, it is operating outside of the law and you are setting yourself up for a fraud by dealing with them. Additionally you lose the protection of your own law enforcement authorities and consumer and financial protection agencies.

I cannot tell you where Atlantic Group is, because there are many companies with that name. If you have a website for them, I can look into them. Please give me their web address and a snail mail location. Also give me the email address of the government agency again but this time use the word "at" instead of the @ sign so our site's privacy software will not X it out and so I can read it.

But I can tell you that there is no Atlantic Group or no broker named Adr***** ***** who is authorized to trade in the UK by your Financial Conduct Authority. That means they are operating unlawfully, and you should not deal with them.

Please let me know the information about the company that I asked for if you want me to look closer into them and I'll be happy to add to my answer. But they are not authorized in the UK and I am confident they are scamming you.

The FCA warns about cold callers here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you - at last someone who is prepared to give me a straight answer to my questions. Now I understand and think the time has come to give all the relevant information to the SEC.

The government agent was david.parsonsatgov.usboc.org and the contact number I was given for him is 0012024590989.

The Atlanta Group gave the email address of adminatatlanticmagroup.com. +13023001126.1201 North Market Street 1101, Wilmington, DE, 19801. Names I have for them is Adr***** ***** and Gloria DeSilva. They have sent me emails for the Payment Settlement.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information.

The email address is not a legitimate government address. The extension on every valid government address is .gov. Here, they put it right after the @ sign so that they could try to fool you with it. But the very end of the string should be .gov if it were a legitimate government email address.

Both phone numbers arecompletely untraceable which means they are IP phone calls made via a computer which could be anywhere in the world.

FINRA, (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority) which keeps the online list of registered brokers and financial firms for the SEC does not have any listings for an Adr***** ***** and Gloria DeSilva. There is no such registered Financial Firm as Atlantic Group either, so they are not SEC regulated.

The company website of atlanticmagroup.com has only existed since June 2, 2014. The IP address traces not to the US but to Singapore. You can see this for yourself by going to www.domaintools.com and running the company's WHOIS.

You also can see that Atlantic lifted its copy on its website, which no legitimate compay would do. Compare the text on their home page to this: http://www.sunmerger.com/

Report this to the FBI at IC3.gov, to the SEC, to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov. Report this as well to your FCA so that they can warn your countrymen of this company.

I'm in the UK, in London until Thursday to attend a wedding. You are having lovely weather!!!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you again for your reply - it was most interesting and informative. I am already in the process of informing the SEC and will take your advice about the others.

I hope you have a lovely wedding and enjoy your time in London. I personally am in Thurso near John O'Groats the most northerly town on the British Mainland. We also are having fantastic weather which we normally do at this time of the year.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.

I'm from NYC where we are also having a very mild and surprisingly unhumid summer so far. But this is a bit cooler, which I like better.

I've been to the UK many times. This trip is about sharing my friends' happy event. I don't know your part of England. Maybe someday I'll get that far north, too!

Enjoy the weather and the summer.