Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
9200179

My daughter is on a student visa in USA but is leaving college

My daughter is on a student visa in USA but is leaving college in December. Can I register for an ESTA so that she can stay out there?
Category: US Law
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is***** I am a licensed attorney and I am here to help resolve your legal issue. Tackling legal issues can sometimes get cumbersome or confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! You are NOT charged per question and you are NOT charged per response, so post at your desire! Just please remember that sometimes the law does not have an easy or convenient solution and that is not the fault of the expert. Please do not shoot the messenger.

Unfortunately, no, not the ESTA. She can register for an ESTA, but she cannot stay. She has to leave the U.S. and come back using the ESTA in order to be on ESTA and that would only give her 90 days and she cannot extend that while in the U.S. nor can she change status to anything else while in the U.S. unless she wins Asylum or similar protection or she marries a U.S. Citizen and that person files for her. The ESTA is one of the easiest visas to get, but one of the worst because of restrictions on it. Better to have her do a change of status from F-1 to B-2 tourist visa. he would have to file an I-539 which can be found here:

http://www.uscis.gov/i-539

She would have to explain the following:

1) How much time she needs.

2) Why she needs so much time.

3) Why she couldn't do what she needed to do during the time she had already had in the U.S..

4) How she would be supporting herself for this additional time since she is not allowed to work.

5) What STRONG ties she has to her home country to ensure that she will go back.

6) What preparations she has made to go back.

Now that I have given you an answer, you may rate me positively OR ask for additional information. Please do not rate me negatively for bad news or things that you may already know. That doesn’t help you or me. I am here to help you and I am on your side. Give me a chance to help you. All you have to do is respond asking for additional information. You are NOT charged per question nor are you charged per response. If this seems a little complicated or overwhelming, I can also offer you an additional service for a small fee where we can speak in private over the phone or through email that may be helpful (this is a public forum where anyone can read the responses). Feel free to decline it, but if you do, please remember that I am not given a salary, so the only way that I am compensated is if you rate me positively. So at least please use the smiley faces and a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. Also, your question does NOT close just because it says, “To finish…” I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If I do not hear from you, I will automatically send that additional offer request. Thank you for your understanding and if you would like to request me in the future, just type: FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box.