Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
9200179

,I was wondering if you could help with questions

I was wondering if you could help with questions I have with employment visas and applying for citizenship by descent for a country that is on the U.S. list of accepted countries for visas.
I am a British national who is currently studying to get qualified in the field of genetics/genomics (this is the field I will be working in should I obtain my visa). I know this is an area that is in demand for professionals and was hoping you could direct me towards where I can find out this information.
Also, I know there are certain countries where visa applications are accepted by the U.S. embassy if you are a citizen of that country. My father was born in Barbados, but I was born in the UK. I was wondering if I do apply to the Barbadian embassy for citizenship, would this strength my application for a visa for the U.S.?
Thank you for your time.
Kind regards,
Deeniece Browne
Also, I
Category: US Law
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is***** I am a licensed attorney and I am here to help resolve your legal issue. Tackling legal issues can sometimes get cumbersome or confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! You are NOT charged per question and you are NOT charged per response, so post at your desire! Just please remember that sometimes the law does not have an easy or convenient solution and that is not the fault of the expert. Please do not shoot the messenger.

It seems that you are eligible for an H-1B visa. You need to get a job offer. The job offer must be for a company that is offering a position that is related to your degree and experience. The position must normally require a bachelor's degree or higher. The company must have a need for someone in that position and must have the resources to be able to pay you what is normally paid to someone in that position. Also, because they are used up for this year, you will need to apply on April 1, 2015 to start working on October 1, 2015 or later. The exception is if you apply for a cap-exempt job and those are at an institution of higher education or its affiliated or related nonprofit entities or a nonprofit research organization, or a government research organization. Those are not subject to this numerical cap.

Here is an official link to the H-1B:

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-1b-specialty-occupations-dod-cooperative-research-and-development-project-workers-and-fashion-models

After that, or in place of that, you could go for a green card. There are three categories depending on your degree, the national interest and your level of fame:

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/permanent-workers/employment-based-immigration-third-preference-eb-3

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/permanent-workers/employment-based-immigration-second-preference-eb-2

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/permanent-workers/employment-based-immigration-first-preference-eb-1

You want to try to get into EB-2 or EB-1 if you can, as the waiting line, so to speak, is shorter/more manageable.

Now that I have given you an answer, you may rate me positively OR ask for additional information. Please do not rate me negatively for bad news or things that you may already know. That does not help you or me. I am here to help you and I am on your side. Give me a chance to help you. All you have to do is respond asking for additional information. You are NOT charged per question nor are you charged per response. If this seems a little complicated or overwhelming, I can also offer you an additional service for a small fee where we can speak in private over the phone or through email that may be helpful (this is a public forum where anyone can read the responses). Feel free to decline it, but if you do, please remember that I am not given a salary, so the only way that I am compensated is if you rate me positively. So at least please use the smiley faces and a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. Also, your question does NOT close just because it says, "To finish". I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If I do not hear from you, I will automatically send that additional offer request. Thank you for your understanding and if you would like to request me in the future, just type: FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box.