Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
9200179

Can you tell me if the american landlords have to provide a

Customer Question

Can you tell me if the american landlords have to provide a deposit/bond certificate to the tenants?
Category: US Law
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is***** I am a licensed attorney and I am here to help resolve your legal issue. Tackling legal issues can sometimes get cumbersome or confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! You are NOT charged per question and you are NOT charged per response, so post at your desire! Just please remember that sometimes the law does not have an easy or convenient solution and that is not the fault of the expert. Please do not shoot the messenger.

Each state has different laws in that regard. Which state in the U.S. are you referring to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New york
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is New York.

First, let me get you the laws:

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/GOB/7/1/7-103

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/GOB/7/1/7-105

In short, the security deposit must be deposited at a bank within New York State and must not be co-mingled with the personal money of the landlord. If the landlord has 6 or more properties, then the landlord must place the security deposit in an interest-bearing account.

Notice must be given to tenant in writing as to the name of the bank where the security deposit is placed, the address of that bank, and the total amount deposited.

Now that I have given you an answer, you may rate me positively OR ask for additional information. Please do not rate me negatively for bad news or things that you may already know. That doesn’t help you or me. I am here to help you and I am on your side. Give me a chance to help you. All you have to do is respond asking for additional information. You are NOT charged per question nor are you charged per response. If this seems a little complicated or overwhelming, I can also offer you an additional service for a small fee where we can speak in private over the phone or through email that may be helpful (this is a public forum where anyone can read the responses). Feel free to decline it, but if you do, please remember that I am not given a salary, so the only way that I am compensated is if you rate me positively. So at least please use the smiley faces and a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. Also, your question does NOT close just because it says, “To finish…” I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If I do not hear from you, I will automatically send that additional offer request. Thank you for your understanding and if you would like to request me in the future, just type: FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would we manage if he refused to give the deposit and bond back at the end of the tenancy ?

You may have to end up suing him for return of the deposit. By law is he required to give the deposit back minus any damages to the apartment. Here is a link to a good guide where you can look on the 9th page:

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/sites/default/files/pdfs/publications/Tenant_Rights_2011.pdf

If the landlord refuses, you may have to sue him in court to get the deposit back plus any fees, costs and attorney fees associated with the court process if you do have to sue him.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you positively (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.

Hello Denise. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Hello Denise. It looks like you are seeing my responses but you are not responding. Are you having technical difficulties? I want to make sure that you are satisfied with my responses and have a positive experience with the website and with my service. So please let me know if there is anything else that I can answer for you because I will do my best. Thank you!
Thank you for your kindness and respect, Denise. I am not your landlord and should not be treaty as such when I have given you the information that you have sought and even given you the law to back it up. I hope you do the right thing by me and I sincerely ***** ***** good luck.