Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years of high volume criminal defense work,including all aspects of a case from arraignment to plea or trial.
18321761

I met this person on line and we got to be friends and he told

I met this person on line and we got to be friends and he told me his sad story that he needed money badly and he asked me for help and I agreed to help him and I went to the bank and sent it to a certain person and he received and told me he would pay it back in two weeks snf never received anything. That is the last I heard from him and I was so stupid to trust him. Certain barristers tried to contact me and asked for money like 2700 to help me get the money back. A few months went by and they sent me another note asking for money so they sould send the money to them, I didn't have it and stopped writing to me. I was hoping to get it back and I never heard anymore about it until now. I don't know who to trust anymooore and I have just about given up!!!! Carol Nerroth Thank you!
Category: US Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.

My name is Zoey, and I am a US lawyer.

You fell for a scam. There is never any legitimate reason for a total stranger to reach out over the internet and ask another stranger for money. You know that in real life, That is, you'd never lend a person thousands of dollars if he came up to you in person with a hard luck story. You would know he was a beggar or a thief.

Well, it's the same thing on the web. The difference is these thieves can hide behind the internet with fake pictures and profiles and be very convincing. They sweep you off your feet, make you trust and then have an emergency of some kind for which only your money will do. The money request is the #1 sign of a fraud, and typically they want it wired out of the country by Western Union or MoneyGram: instantaneous, irreversible and completely untraceable. You might as well just throw your money away.

The scam sometimes comes complete with phony documents, and with phony barristers, bankers, diplomats, customs agents and so forth swearing to the truthfulness of your scammer. In reality, the other folks are members of the same team of scammers. They are all liars and sharing your money.

If you can find them, which you won't because everything you think you know about them is a lie, you can sue them or have them prosecuted. But as nothing will check out, this is going to be a job for law enforcement.

Report the fraud to your police, to the FBI online at IC3.gov because the only way you will get your money back is if someone can find the scammers and bring them to justice.

It is very typical that once you fall for a scam like this the fraudsters come back for another bite of the apple by pretending to be able to recover your lost money. For a fee, of course. And then another. And another, until you finally realize you've been defrauded all over again.

Stop throwing good money after bad. Cease all contact with these thieves. Turn all the information you have over to the police and FBI at IC3.gov.

Talk to your accountant. Your unreimbursed losses are tax deductible when you are the victim of a crime. And that, at least, is better than nothing.
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: Over 20 years of high volume criminal defense work,including all aspects of a case from arraignment to plea or trial.