Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
9200179

I am a Dutch citizen living and working in the UK, getting

Customer Question

Hi, I am a Dutch citizen living and working in the UK, getting married to my Indian boyfriend in 3 months. He lives in the US and gets his green card in 6 months (currently on Hb1) . Then I want to move over to live and work in the US as soon as possible.
How do we do that?
Category: US Law
Expert:  T_Graham12 replied 1 year ago.
HiThanks for your patience. You will have to marry outside the UK. Once legally married your spouse can then apply for an EEA family permit in order to come to the UK to remain here as your spouse. The webpage on applying for this is here:https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/overviewOnce he has obtained his famiy permit and travelled here, he can apply for a residence card to evidence his right to be in the uk for 5 years. The page on applying for this is here:https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/overviewIt does take quite a while for the home office to decide on his residence card applicaiton (but less for the family permit application) and so when he applies he should be mindful that they will keep his passport for up to 6 months from the date he applies for his residence card. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom
Expert:  T_Graham12 replied 1 year ago.
HiThanks for your patience.You will have to marry outside the UK.Once legally married your spouse can then apply for an EEA family permit in order to come to the UK to remain here as your spouse.The webpage on applying for this is here:https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/overviewOnce he has obtained his famiy permit and travelled here, he can apply for a residence card to evidence his right to be in the uk for 5 years. The page on applying for this is here:https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/overviewIt does take quite a while for the home office to decide on his residence card applicaiton (but less for the family permit application) and so when he applies he should be mindful that they will keep his passport for up to 6 months from the date he applies for his residence card.My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** is not what I mean. I want to move to the US, not him moving to the UK. Can you answer that?

Expert:  T_Graham12 replied 1 year ago.
You have posted your question to the UK law section, so I cannot answer.
I will refer the question to the US law category but you must be patient. Someone will assist in time.
Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks

Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. It doesn't matter where you marry, but if you marry while he is on H-1B, you can apply for an H-4 to come to the U.S. like that. If you use an ESTA to enter the U.S., you can marry in the U.S., but you cannot change from ESTA to H-4 inside of the U.S. You would have to leave the U.S. and get an H-4 visa stamp then come back with that H-4 visa. You should marry before he is granted U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency. And you should also enter the U.S. before that so that both of you can get Residency at the same time. If you wait too long and marry too late, he can still apply for you, but it will take 1.5 to 2 years where you would be stuck outside of the U.S. So marry soon, get the H-4, then the Residency when he gets it. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thank you for this but in H4 I cannot work. Can I do the following to join programme from the UK instead of the H-4 to get a green card (=work visa) earlier? thanks

There is a new regulation that allows H-4s to work in the U.S. now. Here is a link: http://www.uscis.gov/news/dhs-extends-eligibility-employment-authorization-certain-h-4-dependent-spouses-h-1b-nonimmigrants-seeking-employment-based-lawful-permanent-residence and here is the link for following to join benefits (near the bottom of that page): http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/spouse/bringing-spouses-live-united-states-permanent-residents Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. Thank you!
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Experience: Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can all H-4s work in the Us or only if your partner has a certain kind of job?

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doesn't depend on the job at all.