Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years of high volume criminal defense work,including all aspects of a case from arraignment to plea or trial.
18321761

Writing New York Bar exam: I have done my Graduate Diploma

Writing New York Bar exam: I have done my Graduate Diploma in Law + Legal Practice Course + LLM (conversion from LPC) in the UK. Am I eligible to write the NYC Bar exam ?
Category: US Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, You would think that this would be a simple yes or no question. But it's not. Your legal education has to be substantively and durationally the same as if you'd taken your courses in the US. If not, there are ways that you can cure the requirement deficiency, but they appear to involve doing so at a US law school. Here's what the NYS Board of Law Examiners requires of foreign students wishing to sit for the NYS Bar. The various court rules on this page may help you determine equivalencies, or you may have to contact the board for clarification. You don't want to make any assumptions of eligibility before applying as the $750 fee to sit for the NYS bar is non-refundable.