Ely
Ely, Lawyer
Experience:  Counselor at Law. Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

There,I have a credit card debt to a USA bank and they

Hi There,
I have a credit card debt to a USA bank and they sold my account to the collection agency but they do not have any information about this in the their system so i have not been called up on that. I have called them several times to make an arrangement to pay them back but no chance as they can not find me so I have several question
1. if I travel to the USA will I be stopped by the border police concerning the money that I owe the bank?
2.will i be sued by the bank for not paying?
4. how can I pay this money eventually and to whom should i pay?
Category: US Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Is this a debt taken out in the USA or in the Uk with an American funding establishment?
Also, I notice you haven't yet rated a previous answer on tis topic so I would be grateful if you could do that now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jo,

The money was taken in the UK from my american bank account.

Sorry for not rating you..

Do not know how should I rate your answer

but can you please give me more detail with regard to the question that I have here

thanks

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
is the collection company in the UK?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No the collection company is in the USA

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
I actually think this is a question for a lawyer in the States then.
I will move it for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean that you kindly send my question to a lawyer in states the?

and if so how long does it take for me to get the the answer?

many thanks

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am very sorry to hear about this. 1. if I travel to the USA will I be stopped by the border police concerning the money that I owe the bank? NO. Civil debt or judgment does not lead to arrest in USA. This is a civil matter, not criminal. USCIS/CBP/ICE does not care about one's civil debts, generally speaking. This should not even be an issue in regards ***** ***** into USA. 2.will i be sued by the bank for not paying? You may be. If the bank SOLD the debt, the collection agency can sue. If the bank merely sent the debt for collection but still owes it, then, the bank may sue. 4. how can I pay this money eventually and to whom should i pay? Contact the collection agency. They are the representative of the bank, and if they still "hold" the debt, payment is to them. Make sure to get a CONFIRMATION for any payment in writing. If the collection agency no longer holds the debt, then payment is to be made to the bank directly. Collection agencies make payment EASY - normally one can pay by credit card, send in a check, etc. There are plenty of methods. NOTE that negotiation with a collection agency IS COMMON. If you can negotiate down to 75% or lower, this may be considered a "win." I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.
Ely, Lawyer
Experience: Counselor at Law. Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.