Ely
Ely, Lawyer
Experience:  Counselor at Law. Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

All - wondered if anyone could help. I am currently setup

Customer Question

Hi all - wondered if anyone could help. I am currently setup with a Ltd Company in the UK, which I use to contract through for a large International Company. I use the Ltd company to invoice the company I contract for, and payment is received into the Ltd Co bank account. Therefore I am not directly paid, or on payroll.
With regards ***** ***** AOS process, I understand you cant work in the US until you have been granted a work permit. However, would keeping your Ltd company "trading" in the UK be legal? It would mean that I was logging in remotely and responding to emails etc, invoicing through the Ltd company, however as I said I would not be on the payroll directly. Just for clarification, there is one other Director on the company books in addition to myself.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, many thanks
Category: US Law
Expert:  ben.jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Just to be clear what are you concerned about - being part of a Ltd company and living abroad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I My apologies for not being clearer. I am currently going through the K1 visa process and plan to move to the US on 11th December. Once I move I will be filing for an Adjustment of Status. I understand I cannot find a job in the US until I have a work permit, however can I continue to work through my UK Ltd Company? My UK Ltd Company invoices the employer on my behalf, therefore I am not on the employers payroll - the Ltd Company is. I wanted to know if I can still continue to use my Ltd Company whilst waiting for an Adjustment of Status/work permit. Many thanks
Expert:  ben.jones replied 1 year ago.
Right so you wish to know about this from a US immigration law perspective, is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct
Expert:  ben.jones replied 1 year ago.
ok you posted your query in the UK immigration law category hence the slight confusion. I will move it to the US side and someone will eventually pick it up from there (it.s early morning over there so they may not be online just yet). Please do not reply in the meantime as it will just assign the question back to me, thank you
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Happy to wait a little longer, thank you
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please close out my question and return my deposit. thanks