Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
9200179

Can a mother of US citizen apply permit after

Customer Question

Can a mother of US citizen apply for residents permit after staying with her child in US for 5 years?
Category: US Law
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 11 months ago.
Hello and Happy New Year! Is the U.S. Citizen son or daughter over 21? How did the mother enter the U.S.? What visa did they use?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The mother enter the USA with visit visa.
But how old is the U.S. Citizen son or daughter?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He's 5 years now
Then unfortunately, no. The child can petition for her, but only when the child turns 21. I am truly sorry. Until that time, she can marry a U.S. Citizen (for love, of course), or if they try to deport her and she has at least 10 years in the U.S., she can apply for Cancellation of Removal but she has to prove that her U.S. Citizen child would suffer exceptional and extremely unusual hardship if she is deported. It isn't easy to do. But luckily, she is not a priority for deportation. Why? Because the government is short on funds and it is expensive to detain and deport someone and it takes a long time, so they are focused on those that have serious crimes in their background. If she has no crimes, she is a low priority. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on 3, 4 or 5 stars. Your question does not close after you leave a positive rating. Thank you and Happy New Year!
Hello Bridget. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!