Ely
Ely, Lawyer
Experience:  Counselor at Law. Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am a British citizen and I'm planning a trip to the USA

Customer Question

Hi, I am a British citizen and I'm planning a trip to the USA next month. However, I was arrested for domestic violence in the past and was let go with a warning. I'm wondering if I can still apply for ESTA or do I need to get a US visa already? The problem is, I cannot recall the details of the warning issued to me as this happened more than 10 years ago
Category: US Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Since this happened more than 10 years ago and more importantly if there was no conviction, then this should not be counted towards one's Visa Waiver Program. As such, this should not be an issue. ESTA is the online qualification for a VWP. So one should apply and likely it will not be an issue. You'd know shortly after applying if the VWP was granted, and from what you describe, it should be. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!