Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years of high volume criminal defense work,including all aspects of a case from arraignment to plea or trial.
18321761

My bank of america account got closed based on the fact that

Customer Question

My bank of america account got closed based on the fact that some deposit were paid into it. i sold a machine for someone in africa and they paid me in dollars in america. the amount involved is like $33k. i have released the machine to them in africa. But i got a call from bank of america stating that someone reported to the police that they were scammed. and the actually made the deposits to my account. my account is now on hold and i have released the tractor to them.how do i claim my money back pls
Category: US Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I don't have very good news for you. You are the victim of a fairly popular scam, and your so-called friend in Africa is the one behind it. In reality, he's nothing more than a thief and he's been using you and your bank account to launder stolen money. The money you believed was sent by your friend to pay for the machine was actually stolen from people and sent to your account. The victims spotted the loss and complained to the authorities. Naturally, nothing traces to your friend in Africa. Everything leads back to you. And so the bank freezes your account, and you are not going to get back the money your friend sent you. They are stolen funds and do not belong to you. If this created an overdraft in your account which the bank paid out, you are unfortunately liable to your bank. An account holder is responsible for the money in and out of his account and the laws in this area protects the bank and not the consumer. It's also very possible that Bank of America will turn this matter over to the DA and try to get you prosecuted for bank fraud. So what you need to do first is to recognize that you are the victim of a crime and lay the groundwork which will help you if this gets turned over to the authorities. You do that by reporting the crime to your police and to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at IC3.gov. You can recover your money from your friend in Africa if you can find him, which you, unfortunately, probably won't be able to do.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But i have been running this account of 9yrs and i have a genuine business am doing.and i have all the receipts of my business as i buy a lot of equipments for people as well and they paid into my account. the bank as now asked me to write them explaining how the money got to my account and what the money is for and who piad it and also provide a copy of the tellers as well. Can you help me do a write up i can send to them if possible.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.
Bank of America suspects you of fraud. What you really need to do is to is to get yourself a criminal lawyer where your bank is and make no statements and write no letters until you've conferred with that lawyer and he or she approves what you will say. You could be facing prosecution, and anything you write to the bank, even what you think may be helpful, can be used against you. It's best to have a lawyer working with the bank on this because what he says can't be used against you.