Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years of high volume criminal defense work,including all aspects of a case from arraignment to plea or trial.
18321761

When moving to America from uk do America ask uk for

Customer Question

When moving to America from uk do America ask uk for criminal records
Category: US Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, In order to relocate to the US you would be required to disclose your criminal record, which may or may not bar you from being able to reside here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok what if the conviction was for procession of articles of fraud but didn't go prison and received it in 2012
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. I left the computer to walk the dogs and have breakfast. The basic rule of thumb is whether if you committed the crme in the US, would your offense have been a deportable offense. Under US immigration law, a fraud offense is a crime of moral turpitude, so it potentially could subject you to deportation. Also, it's not how much time you actually served -- in this case none -- but how much time you could have served in the worst case scenario. If the maximum amount of time you could have possibly served was less than a year, you would be admissible to the US despite your conviction. If more than a year on a crime of moral turpitude, you'd be inadmissible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was 2 years suspended sentence will I be able to go or get stay
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
From what you have told me, you are inadmissible. Your possible remedy would be to check with the US Embassy over there to get the application for "Advance Permission to Enter as Nonimmigrant" and see if they will allow you to visit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if 5 years have gone could I get citizenship or visit America
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
If you were under 18 when you were convicted, you'd be admissible after 5 years. There's an exception for juveniles. Otherwise no exception unless the maximum possible penalty for your crime was a year or less.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
If there's no exception, you could visit if you can get advance permission. But if you get that, it would just allow you to visit and not to stay. You couldn't be a citizen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this true, about getting permanently bar from citizenship
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/crimes-that-will-prevent-you-from-receiving-us-citizenship.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if it is would it be ok
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Yes. There are some offenses that will permanently keep someone from ever becoming a citizen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if the conviction was procession of articles to frand and there was no cash involved just a fake ID will that be ok
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
I cannot tell you more than I have already told you, because it depends upon what the maximum possible penalty could have been in your country, had you gotten that maximum. You need to check with the US Embassy for that piece of it. It is good that your offense was non-violent, but it could still be an aggravated felony. Determining that is more complicated, but the Embassy will know for sure.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.