clairep80
clairep80,
13262538

My son who has been married than 2 years is in a mentally

My son who has been married for less than 2 years is in a mentally and physically abusive relationship. They have a daughter aged 10 months who my son loves deeply. His wife uses the baby as a weapon daily threatening him that she will divorce him and never let him see her again.She says the same to me. Recently she hacked into my son's emails and texts and spent days obsessively reading everything.She wrote to all my son's female friends (either past girlfriends, platonic friends, work colleagues)and told them all to not have any more to do with him. Last weekend she stole my mobile, hacked into it and read all my emails and texts.Then she yelled abuse at me so distressing that I was forced to leave my own home in the middle of the night.I haven't been to go back since. She, my son, their daughter and her 7 yr old daughter by a previous relationship are living there while I am now staying 250 miles away. She has made my son under duress call me and tell me how angry he is with me for telling my brother about the incident. I could go on for pages of what she's done and how she's controlling my son. He is my only son (aged 39) - I am 71 and alone. I have lost my son and my grand-daughter but it's my son and grand-daughter and step-grand-daughter I am concerned for. She and the girls are American. My son only lives there one month in two as the other month he works in UK. He does not have the Green Card or a job there so fears that if he divorces her he'll have no access rights to his daughter. They're all returning to the States in 6 weeks time. His long term plan is to get the Green Card, get a job and then divorce her, but it will take so long I fear something catastrophic will happen in the meantime. She's constantly abusing him. Given him black eyes twice in the past 6 weeks. She's been married 4 times before yet only 34. My son has never been married before, nor lived with a girl.He was coerced into marrying her because she got pregnant 2 weeks after they met on-line. She then lost that baby 2 days after they married, but got pregnant again a couple or so months later. This is all true - I realise it sounds made up! It's a nightmare situation. Please can you offer any advice or put me in the right direction for advice. Thank you. Penny
Category: US Law
Expert:  hhlaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Your son will need to consider his legal options in relation to this. Please confirm:

-How old his children are?

-If there are any court orders regarding the children, if so what are the terms?

Expert:  clairep80 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for more than 30 years.

I note that your grandson is 10 months old and the step granddaughter is 7.

There are no court orders as the marriage is ongoing.

Expert:  clairep80 replied 1 year ago.

sorry that should have said grand daughter not grand son!

Your son needs to think carefully about his position before he follows through on his current plans to wait until he has moved to the States before he takes any action.

Indeed he should consider refusing permission for his wife to take the child to the US as planned.

Once the child is living in the USA then the issue of contact will be dealt with by the Courts in the State in which she is living - which will make matters a little more difficult especially if your son is not able to live there

Expert:  clairep80 replied 1 year ago.

Please encourage your son to seek immediate face to face advice on the current position.

In the UK the law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce it if necessary.

In the USA child contact is also seen as important so your son will be able to maintain some form of contact no matter what

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Clare. I had to go to sleep and have only just seen your response. (Am sleeping very badly). They live in the States and are only here for 8 weeks while my son works for 4 weeks and the other 4 weeks have a holiday. This is the dilemma. I need somebody to give me advice as to whether I should go to the States to see a lawyer to discuss it. The problem is that she forbids my son from any contact with me double-checks his phone and iPad all the time so I'm unable to talk to him about it. He's unable to go to a lawyer In the US as she tracks his every moment on his iPhone through 'Find Friends' app and she'd beat him up and make his life hell. He's so traumatised by her abuse that he tries to avoid trouble. I am thinking if I went without her knowledge and had a meeting with a family lawyer I would at least find out some useful information such as whether he should be logging with the police or a lawyer what has been happening. (He has photographic evidence of his bruising from her attacks). I am profoundly deaf and can't hear very well on the phone and need to speak to somebody face to face. They live in Houston and I would need to find a good family lawyer there.
Expert:  clairep80 replied 1 year ago.

I will transfer the question to the US section

clairep80,
Experience: 
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - that's an excellent idea.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Clare.I think it's an excellent idea to refer it to the US section and look forward to hearing further.