Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
9200179

My son aged 22 has just finished a four year degree in

Customer Question

My son aged 22 has just finished a four year degree in theatre in the Uni of Scranton and now wants to take up an offer of an unpaid internship in Chicago, his J-1 visa that he had for four years expires 8 August, What sort of visa does he need now, and does he need to return to Dublin to get it here?
Category: US Law
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Is his J-1 subject to 212(e), the requirement that he go home for 2 years? How long will this internship be for?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

You can check to see if his J-1 is subject to that 2 year rule by checking the visa stamp in his passport or his DS-2019.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Guillermo,Yes, got you response, Cillian is not subject to that J-1 rule. Would it be possible to communicate with Cillian directly, rather than me acting as an intermediary? He is at***@******.***
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Guillermo,Yes, got you response, Cillian is not subject to that J-1 rule. Would it be possible to communicate with Cillian directly, rather than me acting as an intermediary? He is at***@******.*** Thank You,John Byrne

It's an additional fee for independent communication outside of the website. As far as your question, he could change status to B-2 status without leaving the U.S. He would have to file an I-539 which can be found here:

http://www.uscis.gov/i-539

He would have to explain the following:

1) How much time he needs.

2) Why he needs so much time.

3) Why he couldn't do what he needed to do during the time he had on J-1.

4) How he would be supporting himself for this additional time since he is not allowed to work.

5) What STRONG ties he has to his home country to ensure that he will go back.

6) What preparations he has made to go back.

He could also change status to F-1 student status as well if he found a school willing to accept him. Here is a link:

http://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/

If he wants to stay to work, that's probably not going to happen. All those visas are used up until October 1, 2017. That is correct, 2017, not 2016. The exception is if he applies for a cap-exempt job and those are at an institution of higher education or its affiliated or related nonprofit entities or a nonprofit research organization, or a government research organization. Those are not subject to this numerical cap.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that, we will revert when Cillian has had a chance to follow up that information you gave me.Thank you *****

You are very welcome. Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!