Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
9200179

I am a citizen of the USA. I am 78 years old. I was in

I am a citizen of the USA. I am 78 years old. I was in England 1962-1966 in the US Airforce. (total of about 11 years in the US military. I moved back to the UK in 1967 and have been resident here ever since then, hence I have lived here for most of my life. I worked in the National Health System for several years and had a private company for several years. I have properties both in the UK and Hawaii. I have a civil partner. I am not anti-American in any way, I simply enjoy living in the UK. For various reasons, I would like to have dual US-UK citizenship. My question is; would it have any negative impact on me from the US government. Every time I go through customs they ask why I don't have dual. I am quite keen on this, however, I don't want to make life difficult for myself when I visit the USA or for any tax reasons. Financially I wouldn't be a burden on either country. I do receive my USA pension (reduced by half as per USA/UK agreement.
Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Category: US Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I requested information on this previously and have been advised by that lawyer to submit the question to an American lawyer in Just Answer.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If I talk live is there an additional charge?
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Both the U.S. and the UK allow dual nationality. As far as tax consequences go, you would really need to speak to an accountant about that. I do believe there are tax treaties in place between the U.S. and the UK so that you aren't doubly taxes. Here are some links to dual nationality:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality/dual-nationality.html

https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello Allan. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!