Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
9200179

My grandfather has initiated a US visa for my mother (who

My grandfather has initiated a US visa for my mother (who has given me permission to do this on her behalf) and she has received a letter with a NVC case number ***** order to proceed. However, as neither of us has done this before we are unsure of what steps to take next. We have been informed to contact a solicitor for them to pursue this on her behalf. The letter indicates that if she has an attorney they must submit a G-28 form instead of the DS-261 form.
1) What type of solicitor would she need?
2) Could my mother pursue this without legal representation?
3) How much would they (solicitor) charge?
4) How long does the process take to complete?
5) Is there anything my mother can do in the interim?
Category: US Law
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

1) A solicitor is not needed. The instructions are pretty clear to allow non-attorneys to be able to do the process.

2) Yes.

3) A U.S. immigration attorney would probably charge $1500 or more for this service.

4) At this point, now that the I-130 has been approved, assuming that the Priority Date is current, probably 3 to 6 months or so. But that's assuming that the Priority Date is current. I can check for you if you let me know when the I-130 was filed for her and if your grandfather is a U.S. Citizen and if your mother is married or single and what country she was born in.

5) Just follow the instructions on the letter from the NVC.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to follow the instructions on the letter but when I log it requires a case number ***** I have but the requires a invoice ID number which I do not believe I have. I am at a loss of what to do next as I have been trying to do this for over a year. Ideally I do not want to get a solicitor involved as money is not readily available for this. So therefore, I would like to get this done for my mother myself.I would like to talk on the phone (how much would that cost) but I will not be available to talk this evening. When can we resume this? Maybe in the interim you could advise what we could do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also the Priority is 28th July 2006. My mother received her first letter to pursue this end of 2014.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My grandfather has been a US citizen for over 30 years, my mother was born in Jamaica and came over with her parents when she was 7 years old. She has lived in the UK for over 50 year and is currently single and has never been married.

Ok. There has been a glitch in the system from what I understand that this is a known issue. I thought that they had that fixed by now. Perhaps your case is one of the few left that needs fixing. Not sure, but you should not be having that issue. I would contact the NVC directly and ask them about it. I you will call, make sure you call as early as possible because soon after 7am EST, you will never get someone to answer the phone as they get too busy. Here is a link:

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/nvc/nvc-contact-information.html

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe it is a glitch, as I said I've had a lot of problems with it since 2014 which is highly frustrating.Once I try and contact them and I still have no luck can I email you back or request the premium service? Or would I have to open another case or pay again?

Of course you can come back and ask follow-up questions on the same thread with no additional charge. Just make sure that you respond here and not post a new question thread. Take your time as the session does NOT close or finish after you leave a positive rating even though it may say different.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** reassuring. Do they open weekends? As I'm at work and by the time I would need to call it would be 12pm UK time to call them for 7am. It's going to be very tricky for me to contact them.

Unfortunately, only Mondays through Fridays until midnight EST. Might need to try to take an early lunch to call.

Hello Sereen. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Hello Sereen. Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies for the delay. Thank you, ***** ***** was very useful. I will try and contact them when I'm off work next week to see of I can start this process off.

You are very welcome, but PLEASE do not forget to rate me positively so that I can get credit for my assistance to you. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you don't see them because perhaps you are using the mobile app, then try clicking on my name and they should come out. Since I am NOT given a salary, it is the only way the website will compensate me. You are NOT charged again and we can continue to communicate without additional charge if you have a few follow-up questions. Thank you!

Hello Sereen. I'm just following up with you again to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!