Ely
Ely, Lawyer
Experience:  Counselor at Law. Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Can a USA citizen and a girl in Ghana marry by proxy and be

Customer Question

can a USA citizen and a girl in Ghana marry by proxy and be legal in USA
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I live in Idaho USA and she lives for now in Ghana. Her husband passed and we would like to marry. This will allow me to collect her dead husbands holdings.
Category: US Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

First of all, please make sure you are not being scammed. See HERE. Ghana is the epicenter of such "romance scams" and your situation sounds like it may be one.

Anyhow, assuming this is bona fide, then only the following states in Texas allow proxy marriages: Texas, Colorado, Kansas, and Montana. Out of these states, only Montana allows double-proxy marriages. This means that one of you have to be present in Texas, Colorado, or Kansas to marry. However Montana will allow a proxy to stand in for both.

However - again - please make sure you are not being scammed! This sounds like a scam. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!