rakhi.v
rakhi.v, Financial Advisor
Experience:  Attorney and Financial Expert. Have specialization in Financial Laws.Practice experience of over 13 years
43581946

My 29 year old daughter just had extensive work done in USA

Customer Question

My 29 year old daughter just had extensive work done in USA on her teeth.gums. Work could not be done here. Can I claim her as a dependent (once off) so that I can get some tax relief. We are both US citizens living here for circa 20 years. I have to claim & pay tax on it because "there is a double taxation agreement with USA & Ireland. My daughter is a student in Ireland.
Category: US Tax
Expert:  Tax Expert replied 3 years ago.

Is this question in relation to your USA taxes, as its been placed in the UK tax forum?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We are living in Ireland and return our taxes here. I am in receipt of a small USA pension which is taxable in Ireland due to double taxation agreement between the two countries.

I understand that but is your question with respect to USA taxes (as there is no dependent relief in the UK) or if the UK/Ireland then there is nothing to claim as we do not have dependents relief.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I thought because she is a student that I could claim her as a dependent on a "once off" because of the considerable expense. Given that she is a US citizen , is she entitled to any financial assistance from USA

This is why I asked whether your question was in relation to USA taxes, as your question has been posted on the UK tax forum.

I cannot answer the USA position as I am an expert on the UK tax regimes I shall arrange to transfer your question - if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I signed up to this site I did not see anywhere that it was UK based so obviously it is of no help to me. Thanks for your time. How do I unsubscribe ?? Do I still need to rate your response for you to be given credit ?

Just Answer is a USA site, so I can transfer your question to the USA tax side of matters. Which is why I asked whether your question related to USA tax or UK tax, as there is a USA forum too.

As I have not answered your question, as its clearly USA related, I shall (if you wish to) transfer your answer to the USA tax forum. (which is also Just Answer, as the topics cover from law to electrical help for many countries)

If you have subscribed, and now wish to unsubscribe then you

• Login to your JustAnswer account
  • Click the EDIT link in the ACCOUNT INFORMATION panel on the left side of the page
  • On the EDIT YOUR SUBSCRIPTION page, next to SUBSCRIPTION STATUS, you should see ON and OFF buttons for your unlimited subscription, make sure the OFF button is selected
  • Click SAVE SETTINGS
  •  

Expert:  rakhi.v replied 3 years ago.
    Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you. Since the above expert "Tax Expert" has shown inclination to opt out or transfer this question, I am entering this conversation.

Let me add a different dimension to your issue, if I have understood propertly from the US taxation point of view.

As you know, US citizens have to report their global income from all sources on the US Tax Return.

As you must be aware, as a US Citizen residing abroad as a bonafide resident of another country, you are entitled Foreign Earned Income Exclusion -

The eligibility of such exclusion is explained HERE.

Now, coming to your question in specific.

I am sorry but you will not be able to claim your daughter as your dependent. She may be qualifying some of the conditions but not ALL. Especially, she does not live with you and she is above the qualifying age of 24. You can refer details HERE and HERE

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You may please leave a positive rating if this helps or please feel absolutely free to revert back with a reply and I would be more than happy to assist you further.

Warm Regards
    Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    My original question related to Irish Tax position, not USA AS

as I pay my taxes in Ireland on all income. My daughter does live with me si I don't know why the assumption that she didn't, The website "just Answer" did not state that it was UK based (I have been charged for an unrelated answer so am very disappointed with the lack of clarity.
    Expert:  rakhi.v replied 3 years ago.
    Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome again. Thank you for your follow up reply.

To begin with, I am sincerely sorry and apologize for all the confusion and inconvenience that you faced. However, note that JA has experts equipped to handle all your tax queries from US and also outside US.

YES, you will be able to claim relief in your tax. Note that you do not get any relief for routine dental care. Routine dental treatment covers extractions, scaling and filling of teeth and provision and repairing of artificial teeth and dentures. However, the following dental treatments do qualify for tax relief:

• Crowns
    • Veneers/Rembrant type etched fillings
    • Tip replacing
    • Gold posts
    • Gold inlays
    • Endodontics (root canal treatment)
    • Periodontal treatment
    • Orthodontic treatment
    • Surgical extraction of impacted wisdom teeth: this qualifies for tax relief when it is undertaken in hospital.
    • Bridgework

Having said this, note tht Irish Laws provide that you can claim tax relief on medical expenses incurred by yourself, your spouse, dependent children or dependent relatives, as long as you have not already been reimbursed, or are entitled to be reimbursed, for the costs by a health board or a medical insurer, such as the VHI or BUPA Ireland.

I hope this helps. You may leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we get compensated for asssting you. Alternatively, please feel absoltuely free to revert back with a reply and I would be more than happy to assist you further.

Warm Regards,