Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of various tax experience, including ex-pat, tax prep and accounting as a business owner.
58285678

Just to clarify, I have actually earned money but no more than

Just to clarify, I have actually earned money but no more than £40k in any year for the last 6 years and no more than £60k a year before that. So when I said that I didn't meet the minimum threshold I meant for an overseas citizen on money earned overseas (as I understand it) not the minimum if you were living/earning in the US - so would it still be true that I am not required to file ? or just file for the last 6 years ?
Category: US Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,

If once converted to U.S. dollars, the amount that you earn overseas meets the minimum amount required to file in the U.S., you will need to file a return in the U.S. The dollar amount needs to be converted. To be in compliance, you wil need to file the last 6 years if your income, once coverted to USD requires you to do so.