Mike
Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi i have an astra H 1.3cdti, the side lights and main beam

Customer Question

Hi i have an astra H 1.3cdti, the side lights and main beam works fine but i have no high beam,
fault code says open circuit.
I have unpluged the 3pin connector next to fuse box and if i put a live cable on each white cable i can get the high beam to come on so i know the wiring from this plug to the lights are ok, the plug cables head back along the front of the car and into the drivers stalk, one cable is purple and remember the other two.
When i pull the lighting stork forward the blue high beam light on the dash comes on but high beam does not, same as if i push in back the blue light will come off and on but light will not operate, hope some one can help
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

There are three common issues on these that will cause loss of main beam on these models..

One is a failing relay - the other is a faulty Bsi ( computer multifunction module ) and the other is a faulty column switch. ( apart from bad connections of course )

You have ruled out the relay and connection issues - and I would say going off what you have completed , that actually you have a faulty switch here.

You can then bridge the wires at the switch and see if the high beam ( complete with blue tell tale ) comes on when you do - if you can get that to happen, the switch is the fault. If not- the fault is with the computer module... and for the latter, you would need garage help -as a new unit needs fitting and coding / programming to the vehicle.

So check the wiring as above re the switch circuit to determine now which your fault is.... but again, the column switch failures are common...

Let me know if you need anything more though -

>> >> >> > Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.