vauxdoc
vauxdoc, Other
Experience:  Vauxhall diagnostic technician
10908802

Vauxhall Frontera 2.2 Olympus 5d Hi...engine management

Customer Question

Vauxhall Frontera 2.2 Olympus 5d

Hi...engine management light comes on periodically, no change in running until I try to accelerate...no power. Occasional 'lumpy' tick over.

Any ideas, please?

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. This light comes on when the engine computer (ECU) detects a fault with one of its sensors or circuits.

When this happens it stores a fault code and then uses a back up program sometimes called limp mode, this is used to enable you to carry on with your journey or to enable you to get to a garage.

The fault may be relatively harmless or may lead to a breakdown or damage to the catalytic converter depending on which sensor or circuit is affected.

From your description "lumpy" you may have a misfire which may be as simple as just a faulty spark plug , have them replaced and see how it runs.

If that does not work you will need to take your car to a garage and have it put on a diagnostic computer to have the fault codes read, most good garages have the kit for this not just main dealers, you should phone around for a quote for a diagnostic test.

I hope this helps, best regards, Vauxdoc.