Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Vauxhall corsa 57 plate, while driving I couldnt

Customer Question

I have a Vauxhall corsa 57 plate, while driving I couldn't change gear because the clutch pedal just went completely free no pressure at all . Manage to get home but can't get it into gear with engine running from starting position, can you give me any suggestion as to the problem
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Loss of pressure at the clutch pedal could mean one or two things - either the hydraulic side of the clutch operating system has developed a leak or become faulty internally in regards to the seals - either at the master cylinder which as the pedal end in which a connecting rod from the master cylinder is attached to the pedal or at the slave cylinder inside the bellhousing at the gearbox - usually if they go faulty they usually do leak fluid and will use exactly the same fluid as your brakes - so maybe have a good check around the master cylinder and see if you can observe any similiar brake type fluid leaks there aswell as observe around the bottom end of the gearbox bellhousing and see if you can spot fluid leaking from there or the obvious signs of fluid - any fluid leaks from either of these will be your problem and is the reason for the drop on pedal pressure due to which ever part of that system is leaking and will of course prevent you being able to get the clutch released or disengaged to get it in gear especially when the engines running - but is easier to do so when the engines off - if the slaves at fault then its gearbox removal im afraid aswell as you need to consider a new clutch assembly at the same time since the gearbox will be out anyway..also check the reservior for any drop in fluid too - as they will i recall use the same reservior as your brakes anyway as you will see a small hose from that going straight to the master cylinder if you follow it - another likly cause could be the actual clutch assembly itself pressure plate maybe..but this is of course if there is nothing wrong with the hydraulic side at all - can the clutch itself be maybe the next area to check..so as above that really about the only common causes for loss of pressure on the clutch pedal..I do hope this helps..