vauxdoc
vauxdoc, Other
Experience:  Vauxhall diagnostic technician
10908802

Occasionally my 1.7cdti van (55reg) fails to start

Customer Question

Occasionally my 1.7cdti van (55reg) fails to start after a run. If I wait approx. 40 to 50 minutes it starts fine, then the fault doesn't reoccur maybe for a couple of days or if I'm lucky perhaps two or three weeks. I've had the van from new and it has full FVSH. Three Vauxhall main dealers have been unable to diagnose the fault so far leaving me frustrated. Please can you help ?
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, Does the enginge crank over and not fire or does it not crank ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, the engine cranks over as I would expect but does not fire and start.

Expert:  vauxdoc replied 4 years ago.
thanks, I had to ask as there are 3 known faults including no cranking which is the immobiliser.

The other 2 are first the suction valve on the rear of the high pressure fuel pump which sounds very similar to your fault, this would need replacing, there is a technical bulletin out for this and I don't know why these dealers have missed it.

The otherr cause I have seen a couple of times is a pin hole in the fuel pipe at the bulkhead, it doesn't get wet but lets air in, but this is normally poor cold start.

Let me know if you need more help, best regards, Vauxdoc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your help so far, can you tell me the make of the pump to enable me to source the parts i need. It is a vauxhall engine, not an Isusu. I haven't removed the pump, but I can't find any markings on it whilst it is in situ. Thanks again.

Expert:  vauxdoc replied 4 years ago.
Hi, is the pump at the front (radiator side) of the engine or at the rear ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your patience, the pump is at the rear just in front of the bulkhead.

Expert:  vauxdoc replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for that, in that case the engine is an Isuzu 16v, Z17dth, the Vauxhall is an 8 valve X17dt with the pump at the front.

These pumps can be either Delphi or Bosch, you wouldn't have to remove the pump as you can just replace the valve, its held on with 3 torx screws, don't forget to inspect the fuel lines at the bulkhead.