Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

Vauxhall Frontera Olympus DTI 2003

Customer Question

Can you give me any indication of the problem i've incurred on my Vauxhall Frontera Olympus 2.2 Dti 2003. I was driving home yesterday when suddenly a loud winding noise was heard which seemed to be coming from underneath the passenger front side. On inspection couldn't see anything untowards but I noticed when trying to move off that my indicators, electric windows, hazard lights and the four wheel selection indicator light weren't working, therefore please can you guide me in the right direction so I can resolve this issue.Mr Bennett
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Hello Mr Bennett,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This problem is still persisting, constantly changing the fuses after they've blown.
Expert:  Billy replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.

My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

Did the winding noise originate in the engine bay?
was anything checked so far (alternator, sort circuits)?
do you have any other symptoms or problems, or is it purely an electrical issue?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The noise seems to be coming from the front passenger wheel. When indicating right and also maneuvering the vehicle in the same direction the indicators blow before the winding noise appears. Don't know if what I've been told is right: supposedly there's a safety mechanism on this model which activates the 4 wheel drive if there is a power surge of any kind &
potentially this might be the problem if there is a break along the wiring loom.
Expert:  Billy replied 4 years ago.

My apologies for the delay...

This, indeed might be caused by a break in the wiring harness. However, you need to lift the vehicle (or just open the bonnet), and check visually, inspect all items on the "loud side" especially the wheel, suspension, and the wiring. You might also want to check the alternator, belt and connectors.

Get back to me with your findings, so we proceed accordingly.

Regards, Billy