Peterkmiles
Peterkmiles, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  13 years experience at the highest level of automotive technology
37560582

Hi, I have an astra soft top convertible, reg March 06 (must

Customer Question

Hi, I have an astra soft top convertible, reg March 06 (must be one of the last). This weekend the roof has struggled a bit to open and on closing, it comes crashing down at the front from a height of about a foot or so - the catches still locked shut though. Also noticed that the hydraulic fluid in boot reservoir is down to min line (with roof closed).

Would be grateful for any thoughts,
Regards,
Steve
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Peterkmiles replied 4 years ago.

My name is Peter and I will try to answer your question for you.

It's quite common for the seals on these hydraulic pipes to weep a little over time, the first step we need to take is to top up the hydraulic roof fluid and see if the operation improves. If it does then we need to monitor if the fluid level drops. If it does please come back to me and we will go through the next procedure to test where the leak is and to decide it the pipe just needs tightening or seals replacing.

I hope I have been helpful.

Please remember you can come back to me at anytime on this matter even after you have accepted my answer.

Let me know how you get on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. I've had a look at the hydraulic unit for the roof by gaining access through viewing space in boot on driver's side. The hydraulic reservoir looks to be a sealed unit; the only access seems to be via a hole bunged by a brass threaded stopper, below the minimum level. A quick visual check seems to indicate that there is no problem with the joints from the unit in terms of leakage.

Regards,

Steve

They are a bit of a pig to top up, You have to jack one side of the car up so that the fluid moves to the opposite side of the bottle to where the refil plug is. You then top it up refit the plug and put the car back down!