Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I think the bonnet cable on my Vauxhall Zafira has snapped.

Customer Question

I think the bonnet cable on my Vauxhall Zafira has snapped. How do I get the bonnet open without using the lever?
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully I can help..

First off you'll need to ensure the cable has indeed maybe snapped in that you work the lever and see if you can hear the latch at the bonnet end move etc..also try pushing down and lifting the bonnet at the front whilst somebody in the car keeps or works the lever in the car just in case the lock mechanism is slightly seized etc..also check the cable is still attached at the lever if it is and it just pulls through too much then it may have snapped at the bonnet end..if its come away at the lever in the car then just get a pair of pliers and pull on the cable and that should get it open..unfortunately if the other way round then its going to be much more difficult and may well involve going in from under the vehicle and basically working up between the front of the radiator and the vehicle body/front cross member etc to release the latch that way,not going to be easy / another way would be in from the front grille and see if you can go in that way.sometimes you may need to cut sections out of it to gain proper access to the lock/latch mechanism and use a good torch/ long screwdriver or formed steel rod with a hook on the end to pull the latch - both ways will be time consuming if it has snapped at that end at the bonnet.but be sure first the latch isn't stuck by pressing down and pulling up the bonnet aswell as ensure the cable hasn't snapped at the lever end too..I do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything else before you rate then just continue..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that - very useful!

Pretty sure it must be snapped nearer the bonnet as the lever moves far too freely and there is noise quite near the lever end. The cable is still attached to the lever.

Even if I can get it open somehow through the grille, what would I do next? Can I do something that allows me to open the bonnet again in the future.

I'm concerned that to go to a vauxhall dealer to get this done could be very expensive but surely I need to replace the cable as there would be a big problem whenver I wanted to open the bonnet. Or might I be able to cut off a lot of the grille then replace it with another from eg wrecking yard?

Really appreciate the help

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..thanks for your reply

Yeah if its at the bonnet end then as you'll know its not going to be easy..the only two options open are from right underneath up beyond the radiator towards the slam panel/lock mechanism and see if can get to it that.way,very ackward but sometimes you can get at that way..nine times of ten its usually via the grille to get in at the latch with anything you can find that can reach in and pop the latch/ like I say it will either be cutting part of the grille if you cant get much movement going in the way it is now.or just cut a large section out and then you should have access at least to get at the latch ..like I say it not going to be easy ,but yes if this is an older model zafira then you should be able to get grille no problem from a breakers..I wouldn't really recommend the dealer..maybe try a local independent or try this site www.goodgaragescheme.co.uk , I wouldn't really go trying to open the bonnet yet until you have new cable at hand ,so once you do get the bonnet open and the cable has indeed snapped then you have the chance to replace it there and then.. I do hope this helps further