Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

hi we have a Vauxhall zafira sri and over the passed couple

Customer Question

hi we have a Vauxhall zafira sri and over the passed couple of days we've heard like a flapping noise when we drive it - it sounds driving with a flat tyre but there isn't one and no lights are coming on the dashboard. no other problems - be great if you could give me some advice, thanks
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..Sorry for the delay..

I see your question is a little aged.and just wonder if you still required any assistance?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well it's just a day old and was still hoping for a answer of course yes
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..thanks for your reply..

Does the noise change at any point operating the clutch etc..?

what about steering any change in pitch of mentioned noise when cornering braking and such like?

does this do this at any certain speed or get louder as increase speed for example?

I assume there is no sign of the mentioned noise when stationary and the engine is at idle or revved etc?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The noise does not change when operating the clutch, sometimes the noise stops when you go around a corner it is always making noise when the car is going in a straight line, it isnt a consistent noise for example when you drive slow you can notice the noise is there on every rotation of the 2 front wheels almost like something is catching.

The noise gets slightly quieter the faster you go.

There is no noise when the engine is on and the car is not moving

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..thanks for your reply..

Ok by the sounds of it could be drivetrain related..in I mean possible driveshaft cv failure usually its the most outer ones nearest your hub that go .. maybe one of the cv boots has ripped.and of course the rubber boot will just flop around as it will be still held in place on the drive shaft itself..something to maybe look at.aswell as anything else you may see loose etc in around the area you hear the noise emit from most.maybe have a look at the inner lining just to be sure it not loose slightly coming to close to contact with the tyre or anything for that matter - if you can actually pin it to a certain side maybe check the full surface area of the tyre in regards to the tread.any issues you see with the tyres..also remove tyres and check for anything in regards to the both front calipers/pads etc/ backing plate.also listen for any obvious issues in regards to the wheel bearings.sometimes these can in a sense depending how they start to go can give out a similar noise so it would be worth checking those for any excess noise or movement etc.I do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything before you rate then just continue