Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

1 .8 design loseing water seem to beboiling and runs dry

Customer Question

1 .8 design loseing water seem to beboiling and runs dry no hoses burst
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully I can help..

Has this been a recent current problem or one that come on suddenly?

Any excess steam vapour from the exhaust when the engines running etc?

How fast does it start to actually register overheating or how quickly dose it loose coolant?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Robert
I CAN NOT TELL IF PROBLEM IS RECENT HAVE ONLY HAD MOTOR A MONTH
IT SEEM S TP RUN FOR LONG ENOUGH THRN PROBLEM START
THERE IS NO STEAM FROM EXAUST BUT HAVE NOTICED AIR BUBBLES COMING
BACK INTO WATER REAEVIOR I DONT NO IF THIS IS RIGHT

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi.there thanks for your reply..

Ok..If your loosing water then maybe check your oil just incase its not filling up in there - by the sounds of it and the air bubbles - then the coolant could be getting forced out the reservior or there is a leak somewhere on the system that generally only shows up when the engines reached it desired temperature that could be one possibily you may want to check on..however the over heating /air bubbles isnt really a good sign - if you alot of built up presssure in that tank and airbubbles then that maybe suggest the cylinder compression/exhaust gases is managing to escape into the coolant system and thus cause an increase in pressure and throw the coolant out via the reservior cap..something to maybe check for as per water stains down that area/aswell as the condition of the cap itself..What you may need to do now is get a garage or mobile tech if know any good ones to come out and sniff test the coolant system for any exhaust gas presense in there -- its a sort of dye kit that fits in place of the cap and the dye should change colour if there is exhaust gases in there..if it does then im afraid it going to be either the cylinder head that gone / warped or cracked or the headgasket more then likley anyway.and there could be many fators that could cause that from a faulty thermostat/blockage some where in the system itself/radiator blocked/coolant fan not working or the water pump impellar has degraded or broken up.also maybe coolant system pressure test and artifically build the pressure up using the pressure kit and see if that forces a leak out or to monitor the water pump performance etc..you will certainly need to have the engine/coolant system pressure checked aswell as the dye test to get any further forward with this..I do hope this helps