Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

why is the water in my expansion tank brown and buberly vaxhaul

Customer Question

why is the water in my expansion tank brown and buberly vaxhaul frontera
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

What Year / engine, inc size / fuel type do you have?

Does the engine overheat at all at any point or done so recently?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI thanks ,yes 1998 frontera mark 1 ,2.5 tdi has not over heated but only had it 6 weeks ,the dip stick does seem to have no signs of water in the oil does lose water out the tank though have checked rad and water pipes no leaks there

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Probably the frst thing to check would be your oil level and see if thats gone down..If oil - engine oil is getting into the coolant system then its either or most likleyl the headgasket depending how its gone of course - it could of gone in such a way the two oil/coolant passage ways on the headgasket itself - since oil pressure is greater then the coolant system pressure and only leaking in one way ie: coolant system so it would be worth checking you oil level as well check carefully to see whether that is oil in your tank or not - or not just residue form maybe a previous fault in regards to as above and repair and some of the oil's still floating about in there..Of course apart from heads that maybe got a hairline crack and pretty much same as above in regards to getting thorugh into the system as and when the engine heats up too..proper testing would need to be done to verfiy that..doubt it be oil cooler as thats not connected to the coolant system as far as i can recall but just coolant radiator in front of the main rad on the front in which to oil lines travel towards the filter housing..One other cause could be rust internal corrosion from water pump impellar or from the block internally maybe due to not using the correct antifreeze etc for internal protection..might be worth trying to flush the whole system out sort of back flush the whole coolant system inc radiator and matrix and and then refill with the correct 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water and se how that goes..tee are cleaning agents out there to help clear out the system of oil contamination - you may find these in most local motor factors etc..but as above if your loosing oil and it getting into the coolant system aswell as huge increase in pressure/bubbles too then im afraid its either going to be headgasket or the head..I do hope this helps