Mike
Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

My Vivaro van was fine until i had to brake suddenly since

Customer Question

My Vivaro van was fine until i had to brake suddenly since then i have had a vibration when i do over 50. I have had wheels balanced and tracking done. I have had two mechanics look at the van and none can find the problem. Please have you any suggestions as to what could be the problem. Many thanks.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

Mike :

My name is MIKE - Please let me know you have received my response with a reply here.

Mike :

Im not receiving any response from you .. In case of a fault, I will give it 5 mins.. then switch us out over into the QA system and we can carry on there..

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again John -

I have switched us over to the QA system as the chat didn't appear to be working...

Can you tell me exactly what has been done / checked - any parts replaced because of this?

Too - what is the mileage on the van?

Rgds - MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It has had a gearbox replaced a month ago. New brake pads and discs front and back about two months ago. 3 new tyres . two replaced today also balancing and tracking done today. Mileage 98,000.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again John -

Thank you for your reply..

Ok - given what you describe has happened , I suspect -strongly that the brake discs ..or at least one of them, has warped.. because of the harsh braking.

This is not an unknown issue John - especially , but not confined to , if the discs fitted were non - genuine Vauxhall parts... so do check on that.

Bear in mind too that often garages will say its had genuine parts fitted - whereas in actual fact, they were not...

In any event - that is what needs checking... and they need checking properly for warpage with a DTL meter - which checks "run out" of the discs.. Any signs of warpage will mean you will need new discs - and I would suggest, new pads too... because the heat will have affected them.

Other than something having physically broken on the suspension, which Im sure they would have checked for by now ( if you have had it checked ), then that is the way forward now John on this one..

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The van was put on a rolling road and the garage could not find any problems with the brakes the man said everything was fine.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what is a dtl meter

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the van was put on a rolling road and the garage could not any problems with the brakes

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello there John...

Sorry about missing you - I had just missed your reply and then couldn't get back on until now..so sorry about that.

Re your questions - to clarify for you... A Dti meter..is for accurate testing of the discs -to see / check for any warpage... people call them different things.... It can be done without - but that is more accurate and when you get "odd" symptoms that suddenly appear - like yours, that is ideal for such tests / checks..

As regards you mentioning its been on a rolling road - that wont tell you anything at all John re the vibration problems or the cause of it - that simply tells you that the brakes "work" , ie, they operate and stop the vehicle - but it wont detect or pick up any issues at all re what you are suffering... so you need to check this as I have outlined above to get this sorted for you..

...Please do click on the OK ratings for me now as that is how JA credits me.. - Thank you in advance for that - and you are welcome to get back to me anytime at all..

NB: You can get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out - Thank you again..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

new disce &pads still the same

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again John..

Thank you for your message.

Surely they checked the "old" discs for warpage did they ? What did they say / find?

Rgds, MIKE................................

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again John..

Thank you for your message.

Rgds, MIKE...............................