Mike
Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Vauxhall corsa 2002- whilst driving along the handbrake warning

Customer Question

Vauxhall corsa 2002- whilst driving along the handbrake warning light comes on and all the dials drop down to zero. When you switch the car off, it fires up but cuts out straight away. The cam shaft censor has been recently been replaced, any suggestions? Please
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help..

Can you tell me what tests / checks you have done so far?

Do you have any fault codes ?

Rgds, MIKE.................................

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No checks or fault codes unfortunately
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply - Im sorry I missed you -

Ok - well thats something that may have to be considered - but for now- these models have a propensity for their main earth cables breaking - and that would cause this so that needs checking first -

Follow the earth cable from the battery ( check the battery connections are good / tight ) - and check that its secure where it connects to the body.
Then look for the earth cable that connects from the body to the transmission - that is there down on the transmission side - often that one breaks - so check and replace that if needed.

If thats all ok - then check the charge in the battery - if the battery has not been charged correctly - due to a failure or / faulty alternator, that will cause this too.... You will need a meter for this - it should show 12v on standing - and circa 14.6 volts while the engine is running - at idle. If the voltage shows less than 12v or over 14.9 -then the alternator / circuit needs checking as that will be your fault.

If all the above checks out as ok, then you very possibly have a faulty dash cluster unit - these do have these issues - but the wiring should first be checked out on it for bad wiring / connections etc -

There is a known issue / fault with these that will give the dash issues - Vauxhall issued a TSB - tech service bulletin on the fault -and its to do with bad connections and the repair of them to the back of the dash cluster - the dash needs to be taken out to check / repair this.
So check all the above first - as that does all need checking - then if that is all ok, the dash connections are the likely suspect to be checked --

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -

Please now to click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.