Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a V reg corsa one litre . The oil light came on last

Customer Question

I have a V reg corsa one litre .
The oil light came on last week and I put in a litre of oil the light stayed on so I put in another two litres not realising that one was 10w the other was 15w.

The oil light now come on about 10 minutes in to my journey and I can smell I a burning smell from the engine.
I've looked under the bonnet and it is slightly smoking ?
Have I put to much oil in ? Or is it the combination of two ?

Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
From what you are describing when the oil light came on the oil pressure switch is likely leaking which causes the oil light to come on as well as the burning smell. The oil switch would need to be checked as a first step and then the oil put to the proper level. As far as the two different oil weights this will not hurt anything.