vauxdoc
vauxdoc, Other
Experience:  Vauxhall diagnostic technician
10908802

Vauxhall astra 1.6 55 plate sxi twinport petrol, I have been

Vauxhall astra 1.6 55 plate sxi twinport petrol, I have been having problems starting the car first thing in the morning when car has been left standing overnight, car will crank but will not fire. at first would take a few attempts and would start but now it is not starting just cranking over, the other week I was able to bump start it and it fired up but today I went to bumpstart it and it didn't catch, don't know if that was because I didn't have much power because previously was getting a push off my drive but today car was just parked on road.
once started in the morning, car will start throughout the day, its when its been left standing for 7/8hours+, car hasn't started today just cranking over,
fuel pump has been changed when problem first occurred but never solved it, all wiring has been checked from fuel pump, ignition checked, battery is fine, has had full service history, on last service in sept when it went to Vauxhall it had the full service and fuel washout, before it would take a few attempts but it has got worse and now just isn't firing. please help very frustrated now! as garage sent ecu off thinking it was that and it came back not faulty, once it has been started first ting in morning by whichever means it will start the rest of the day
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just answer, With a fault like this I would do a cold start test with 2 pieces of equipment attatched, a fuel pressure gauge which would test not only the pump but the relay and ECU wiring, next a diagnostic scanner that would look at the RPM while cranking on the starter to test the crankshaft speed sensor.

The crankshaft sensor is the most likely cause and I would suggest that you have this replaced .

I hope this helps best regards, Vauxdoc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is crankshaft sensor the same as camshaft sensor or are they 2 different parts?

Expert:  vauxdoc replied 3 years ago.
No the Crankshaft and camshaft sensors are different, thay are available on Ebay at around £20 CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

but its weird that once car has been started (usually by jumpstart) it will start perfect throughout the rest of day, until it has been left standing overnight. if was intermittent faulty crankshaft sensor it wouldn't happen at the same time everyday would it?

could there be a blockage in fuel pipe which is causing this?

Expert:  vauxdoc replied 3 years ago.

I'm just going on my own experience as I have changed dozens of these for similar faults, never had a fuel blockage though.