vauxdoc
vauxdoc, Other
Experience:  Vauxhall diagnostic technician
10908802

I have a 2008 Astra van 1.7cdti and on motorways the spanner

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Astra van 1.7cdti and on motorways the spanner light comes on and it loses power , when the light goes off it kicks and it's back to normal again .... It is as if the turbo keeps stopping and starting .... Around town it runs beautiful .... Any ideas and cost please
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. This light comes on when the engine computer (ECU) detects a fault with one of its sensors or circuits.

When this happens it stores a fault code and then uses a back up program sometimes called limp mode, this is used to enable you to carry on with your journey or to enable you to get to a garage.

The fault may be relatively harmless or may lead to a breakdown or damage to the catalytic converter depending on which sensor or circuit is affected.

To be sure you need to take your car to a garage and have it put on a diagnostic computer to have the fault codes read, most good garages have the kit for this not just main dealers, you should phone around for a quote for a diagnostic test.

It can be one of dozens of faults that can cause it so guessing a price would be silly, however common causes on the Z17DTH engine are boost pressure control faults, look at anywhere between £30-100 for the diagnostic test .

I hope this helps, best regards, Vauxdoc.