Mike
Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 1.3 cdti corsa that will not start and sounds like

Customer Question

I have a 1.3 cdti corsa that will not start and sounds like the cam chain has snapped (sounds similar to an engine with a broken cam belt) I have removed the cam cove and cams, the chain is good and non of the valves look bent, any ideas.

Alan
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you ..

Can you tell me - will the engine crank over ? turn ?

If so - have you cranked it over and watched the drive / cam / valves - to see if they are all operating ok - ? If not - thats the thing to do..

Also - have you checked the actual timing of the engine?

Rgds, MIKE...........................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike

Engine turns over and cams operate but sounded like no compression. Will reset the timimg on rebuild but wondered if there were any other known faults with this engine before i rebuild it

Alan

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi there Alan -

Thank you for your reply..

Did the car / engine overheat at all - run out of oil / anything like that ?

Rgds - MIKE..............................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike

No, it ran fine and was stopped on the key, then would not restart.

Alan

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi there Alan -

In that case then yes - you certainly need to check the timing is still in place - or not.. It sounds as though it may have jumped... and you can then do a compression test if needed to see what you have there..

Again let me know how you get on Alan. we can carry on if needed.. I hope its not too bad for you !

Meantime - pease do click on the OK/ Excellent ratings for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.