Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Vauxhall meriva 2005 enjoy started to rattle and creak. Have

Customer Question

Vauxhall meriva 2005 enjoy started to rattle and creak. Have managed to take a peak underneath but I'm not sure what I'm looking at. It looks like something has broken in half near the front of the car it seems to be central. Would this be the exhaust or the trunk rod arm maybe? The car still runs fine I just can't go over any bumps without it scrapping. Going to take it to a mechanic when I can I'd just like to be armed with some idea of what it could be and how much it's going to cost me. Thanks
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.
Hi..there sorry for the delay..

Ok..Going by your description id say its most likely going to be the exhaust - Or maybe part of the heatshield that's between that "the exhaust" and the floor of the car..if its the exhaust system then its either the system has split at a box/cat converter at the front "hence the engine sounding a little louder than usual" - or the hangers/rubber supports that hold the system securely up against the floor of the car - have come loose or broken - thus allowing the system to hang and come into contact with road humps etc..At this stage it would be hard to say what costing your going to be faced with.."hence if you can take a picture and send it in your next post" then I might have better idea whats needs to be done..But as above it certainly sounds like the exhaust system as that runs down the centre of the car from the engine up front to the back.the only other pipe work under there would be the fuel lines/brake lines - but they are a smaller diameter so certainly check that too.I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else or inc anything further then just continue before you rate