sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  Technician for 30 years.
31670004

I have just discovered the engine fitted is a different type.

Customer Question

I have just discovered the engine fitted is a different type. I am informed by the supplier that it is the same engine. My car is a 2001 Astra SRI 16V (original engine no 20V86529) and have fitted a Zafira engine code Z18XE. There are problems - none mechanically, the engine went in well, lot of time spent in removing half shaft etc but otherwise ok. Problem is electrical. I am advised by an auto electrician that the Z18XE engine does not have a knock sensor position. The cam position sensor and coolant temperature are not compatible with harness so engine cooling fan and fuelling issues can not be resolved. MOT test refusal listed exhaust emmissions carbon content after 2nd fast idle excessive (cO 0.91% vol, HC 49ppm vol). Mechanic says will always run with flat spots. Both electrician and mechanic say wrong engine for the car. The engine supplier says engine same and will fit. Can you tell me, will an Zafira Z18XE work in an Astra SRI 16V?

Attached Auto electricians report/invoice

Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, Im sorry you haven't had an answer sooner, I hope I can assist.

Do you have the reg. number of the Astra?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

PN51 ORK. Thanks

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

as the original Astra engine was a Z18XE engine then the basic engines should be the same. Any sensors that are different should be just a case of swapping them over such as the cam sensor from the old Z18XE engine should fit the replacement engine.

There may be differences in manifolds and such but the basic engine is the same engine.

As far as I'm aware the wiring changed for the engine in 2001 but as I said the basic engine will be the same, any knock sensor deletion would still leave a fixing hole for a sensor even if it were not fitted, Vauxhall wouldn't go to the expense of altering a casting to fill in a fixing hole.

I hope this helps, let me know.

Best wishes,

Sean.