Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert

Am getting water underneath carpet passengers side front and

Am getting water underneath carpet passengers side front and back, started a couple of months ago all seals on windows doors are okay. When it rains then have the problem, remove plugs under sill to drain water, about a litre of water each time. Carpets permanently wet/damp. Asked a mechanic at a Vauxhall dealers and was told "we don't do water"
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you ..

Please first tell me the year / exact details of your car... A Full reg number will be extremely helpful too.... plus anything that you may have done / tried already that you may not have mentioned above - - ??

Kind Rgds, MIKE........................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike thanks for your email. My car is a Vauxhall Meriva Design 2007 KL07MUU. 1.6 Petrol 40504 mileage, 5door. Info already given is all that has been done, quite honestly did not know what else to do. As you appreciate need to get water out in case body damage. Look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards. Colin.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Colin -

My apologies that I could only just get back to you now --

I should have asked Colin Im sorry - does the car have a sunroof - and if so , have the drains for that been checked?

Too- has the car has any accident damage do you know / how long have you had it / when did this start to occur etc?

Rgds, MIKE...................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike, Yes car has two sunroofs, no I have not checked them as I have never considered them to possibly be leaking as seals seem to be in good condition, though there are fittings for a roof rack which have never checked as I have not used a rack. Someone did mention recently that it could be to do with the air conditioning system which we have not used for a while. As far as I know the car has not had any accident damage We have had it for 15 months. The problem has persisted for about 3 months which we noticed when we heard water sloshing around underneath then coming up into the car and has been ever since, it at first was limited to front passenger well then two weeks ago I noticed it in well at passenger rear. Sorry to be so wordy, hope it all helps as you do your Sherlock thinking. Appreciate you help.Kind regards, Colin.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for that..

Ok - what you have on the systems, is the seals as you mention, around the roof glass - but the sunroofs also have drains -for when the water gets into the channels, it then drain down through pipes down inside the four corners of the car basically, and then out through the bottom of the car. Sometimes its known that these drain pipes can become clogged or even come apart inside... or the drains block on the ends, so that then , the rainwater comes into the car. So thats one consideration - something to be checked if nothing else is found.

Air conditioning is another cause yes - it has drains again up under the dash that come out right at the back of the engine down the very bottom of the bulkhead under the steering rack. Actually the easiest way to check that is to run the Ac system - and check after half hour or so, to see if you have water dribbling on to the road.. you should have - thats normal... if not - then the drains are either blocked or leaking straight into the car -that then would need further investigation as to your most likely cause.

Now... Ive been answering your reply - as I read it... - now Im at the point where you say - "we heard water sloshing around underneath then coming up into the car"... such a description does indicate that either you have Ac or sunroof drain issues - as I would say to check thoroughly there... that, one or the other, or both, is your most likely issue.

IF not - if you do rule that - the other common cause of the water getting in,is through the pollen / cabin filter seals - the cabinet where the pollen filter sits... Actually, it may be wise to check this first... as its easy to do. The filter is located under the windscreen area - plenum chamber - pass side.. Remove the filter there and check for any signs of rainwater in there - If there is any - check the condition of the seals - and the drains. Often its just down to someone not having closed the housing properly - so check on that - ( can replace the filter if its bad too - often they dont get done ! )

So one way or the other Colin, working as above, you should get to the bottom of this for sure. Let me know how you go -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.................Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

.....You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many many thanks Mike for info, very interesting, will get them all checked and come back to you asap. Grateful, Colin

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Colin -

Thank you for your reply.. Im very glad to have helped - Im sure you will get sorted working through as above..

.... per the way justanswer works Colin - I do just need you to now click on one of the OK ratings for me please as thats how Im credited for helping you .... So please do that now for me... and I Thank you in advance for doing that..

If there is ever anything else - you know where I am, you are most welcome.

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Other
Experience: Tech Expert