Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

my cambelt went just as I pulled up in driveway, I can replace

my cambelt went just as I pulled up in driveway, I can replace cambelt but before I do this would it have done any damage head or anything else, car is 1996 Vauxhall corse 1.2
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Ok..As far i recall those Corsa B models and 1.2 engines are interference - in that if the t-belt breaks then you do run the chance of valve to piston contact - the only way to know that would be to either retime your engine back up with new belt etc and then do a compression test across the 4 cylinders and see what readings you get any low readings or loss of compression on a cylinder or cylinders compared to the rest with good and holding compression - will suggest damage on these low reading cylinders - a Cylinder Leakdown test would be better if you have the equipment as this can tell you wether its an exhaust valves or an inlet valves by listening for the escaping air either via the exhaust system or the air filter intake system when that cylinder is at TDC when valves are closed any bend or damage to the valve and doesnt seal properly due to it being damaged will cause that escaping compressed air forced into the cylinder to escape - then you would need to remove the cylinder head to check that and maybe something to consider doing anyway if you feel you want to go down that route seeing as the belts off anyway,but that totally your choice - but thats certainly something to do once you get it timed back up rather than remove the head first is to do a compression test or leakage test and see what reading you get and confirm the damage so to speak and then take it from there.. Very rarely do you get away with it and just put another belt on,its not inpossible if the engine rpm was very low - also remove the camcover and fully inspect in there camshaft valve train wise for any damage etc..if valves are damaged then it its just case of new headgasket set and or a rebuild of the cylinder head you have or a second hand one from a breakers yard..but as above that about the way forward on this one..I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate

Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience: Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK