Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert

I asked a q in Jan re 2009 insig 2lCDTI - symptoms - loss of

Customer Question

I asked a q in Jan re 2009 insig 2lCDTI - symptoms - loss of power when engine hot, occurs when accelerating in 4th/5th at motorway speeds at approx 3krpm - only happens when fully up to temp after approx 100 miles
Also rough running and engine seems to hesitate when holding speed at say 2krpm.
When engine hot, a noise is audible when accelerating in low and high gears, seems to occur at the point just before change or just after and is almost a two tone noise that could be release of pressure
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you .

I have read through the history on this one. That , coupled with what you say above - inc the fact that you have had the swirl flaps etc sorted ( re manifold etc ) - your symptoms inc the lack of power when you say - and the noise -- all point to turbo issues / faults... turbo system.

I would suggest to try and find a local Diagnostic specialist in your locale- who specialise in these sorts of issues / diagnostics...

While its true that dealers have top notch equipment - its not the be all and end all if you understand... Some of these other places really are very well equipped equipment wise -spending literally thousands on such equipment - and are also highly trained in these types of faults - and fault finding.

Too - it would be cheaper for you to use such a place... But all things considered, your symptoms again are pointing to the turbo - either its actuation or the turbo itself-- you need to find someone who can do specific tests on the turbo to verify this fault and get this cured properly for you - thats the best advice now on this one given what you have outlined for sure.

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Mike

it had a new turbo about 10k miles ago - which bits of the actuation should I be looking to get checked ? and could you recommend a specialist - I live in the Rg27 area

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again...

Thank you for your reply.. Sorry I missed you last eve..

Ok - well the first thing to say is, note "nice" as it sounds, is, the turbo could still be the fault - we see this a lot - so it does need specific checking as above.. ( the beauty is , if its only done 10k, if its faulty, it will be under warranty. )

As for the actuation side, by that I mean the command side - so diagnostics as in Live Data to actuate the turbo system etc to see exactly whats happening / not happening etc to trace the fault down - that of course will need garage equipment to do that as above...

Im not in your area albeit Im in the Uk - but I have done some looking for your given your postcode - and I have come up with this company HERE - click the link. They are 20 mile from you - there may be someone nearer - but - I do know these to be very good - garages send their diesel parts etc to them for test / reconditions etc from all over the Uk - as you are relatively near, I feel they would be best to visit for you to get this sorted out for you... whether its turbo in the end or something other, they will sort this for you - They have the test equipment etc, to see even if its just on the command side - solenoids etc.. So I think thats the best way forward for you on this now.. Let me know how you get on in the end..

Meantime - please do click on the OK ratings for me at this point please - and I thank you in advance for that ..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Other
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Mike - I booked it back in to Vauxhall but in the meantime the hesitation worsened and the garage couldn' fit me in any quicker so I went to AP autos as you suggested. They've spent half an hour on it and have suggested a new turbo so I'm going to book it back in with them

Vauxhall have said the original turbo isn't under warranty ? and there might be a good will gesture but not certain - Dealer quoted £1700 - AP about £750...................